1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP James Noble

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 29, 2016.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yup. Even if you clicked on this, I am sure you were saying, "Who"?

He was the actor who played Governor Gatling in Benson. He seemed old in 1980. Lived to 94. RIP.

'Benson' actor James Noble dies at 94

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I was just checking to see if Jamie Noble, former WWE performer, had died.

RIP to the actor.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Raise your hand if you've died and you *haven't* received your own RIP thread on sj.com.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. The Big Ragu

Hey, in my defense, I knew it was a ridiculous thread when I started it. Plus, I didn't try to make it into a Poin thread!

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

IF I remember right, someone posted a thread when the actual Baron Scicluna died, and one poster said they thought it was really me.

6. The Big Ragu

Hey may not have been much good in the Client, but. ... someone was moved enough to create this:

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I really don't think I am out of it... but then the fill in bassist for the Allman Brothers, who played with the band briefly in 1973, will die, and 24 sj.com members will commiserate.

Or somebody who had a bit role in a 1980's sitcom...

Or Peaches Geldof.

I guess I need to get out more.

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

He was great as Mr. Rogers, too.

9. The Big Ragu

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, this just doesn't register with me much, and I loved Benson. He was pretty much a one-note character on that. His cluelessness always reminded me of George H.W. Bush.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Hey, the guy was in the 'Trending' section of my Facebook page, so why not start a thread.

'Benson' was an underrated sitcom, I thought. I always loved it when he bickered with Miss Kraus, or took Clayton down a peg. I thought Noble played the sincere dimwit well.

It's funny he didn't seem to do much outside of that show. The only other thing I remember seeing him in was the 'Airplane!' sequel, where he played a priest on the flight. There was a scene where the flight attendant told everyone to put their heads between their knees and then she said, 'No, your own knees, Father,' and then the head of Noble's character pops up from the lap of the attractive woman next to him.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

And, at least he died today and not 5 years ago.

I say pick up the penalty flag.

Draft saved Draft deleted