1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jennifer Frey

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Former Philadelphia Daily News, New York Times and Washington Post sports writer Jennifer Frey has died after a lengthy illness. She was 47. RIP

2. Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Condolences to Jennifer's family, friends, and colleagues 'round the world.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Read it on the recommendation of a Twitter friend. Took me an hour to get through it, stopping for the occasional WTF? Sad (not in a Trump sense).

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I very briefly knew Jennifer in the early 90s. She was amazing and so impressive. We were the same age and even though I wasn't a journalist, I felt like such a slacker in comparison with her. I remember being jealous of her success.

Earlier this year, she randomly popped into my head. I did some googling, couldn't find any recent stories and eventually found her Facebook page with the link to the gofundme for her daughter. Jennifer was still alive at that point. I really was curious about what happened to her but since I was never even a blip on her radar, I felt weird about reaching out to any of our mutual friends to find out. Like it was none of my business, which it wasn't. Still, I wondered and I felt terrible for her daughter.

I feel kind of sick after reading that (great) Deadspin piece. It answered my questions, I guess, but I feel so sad about her downfall. She was so smart and amazing.

10. The Deadspin piece is remarkably well-reported and -written. I look forward to going back and reading some of the hyperlinked stories that caught my eye (Mickey Mantle, Glenn Burke, Mark Kram, the last byline strangely enough about coupons).

Draft saved Draft deleted