1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana TV reporter arrested after trying to obtain city records

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Devin, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Devin

Devin Member

WHITE CASTLE — WBRZ-TV reporter Chris Nakamoto was handcuffed and detained Wednesday and issued a misdemeanor summons after he was accused of harassing the town clerk and refusing to leave town hall when asked by local police.

But the reporter’s boss defended his actions and said Nakamoto was just doing his job by trying to hold public officials accountable.

The town’s clerk, Monica Hamilton, summoned White Castle police officers to Town Hall Wednesday morning, telling police Nakamoto was causing a disturbance, according to Town Attorney Valencia Vessel-Landry.

The incident took place in the lobby after Hamilton refused to be interviewed by Nakamoto on camera for a story the reporter was working on concerning the mayor’s pay and recent public records requests he filed, Vessel-Landry said.

“She told him she didn’t want to be on camera and she asked him to stop filming,” Vessel-Landry said. “He said ‘no’ so she ran to the back and he attempted to come into a restricted area to get to her. That’s when she called the police.”

Nakamoto was removed and issued a summons for allegedly “remaining after being forbidden” after police arrived on the scene and he refused their requests to leave, Vessel-Landry said.

Video: WBRZ reporter Chris Nakamoto detained, accused of refusing to leave White Castle town hall

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Dude's having fun. He knows he just made his career.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Looks very calculated.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm all for the watchdog aspect of journalism and those that have the stomach and patience to dig deep for investigative pieces, but there's good ways and bad ways to do it. Harassing the clerk at the records desk in a small town is not going to get you anywhere. That's the person you want to schmooze.
    Plus, I guarantee you when the cops showed up he pulled out the "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM!? THE PEOPLE HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW!" line. He has that look about him.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Memo to TV reporter: Nobody is obligated to go on camera with you.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

So he went to White Castle and he got thrown out?

[/beastieboys]

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

OTOH he just put the records requests on a very hot front burner.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Even if he gets the records and asks for no onions, they'll still smell like onions.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

He went to White Castle Wednesday morning. I know where he was Thursday morning.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That's the difference between a good reporter who wants to stay in the city he or she works in and a good reporter who doesn't give a damn who he pissed off in the city he or she currently lives in.

I've had uncomfortable investigative stories where people don't want to talk on camera. I'll ask twice and offer a warning that I include it in the story if they, as a public official, won't talk with us. Yet I'll never play the ambush card. It is not dignified. My rep is important -- even on a negative story, I won't go out of my way to humiliate a subject.

Yet about half the TV newsrooms out there will eat this up. This reporter will be in Atlanta or Houston by Memorial Day.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I like your position, but Mike Wallace is spinning in his grave.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Mike Wallace had the brand of 60 Minutes and CBS behind him. He could swoop in with his army of producers, make the big takedown and swoop away, never to return. No consequences.

I'm a local schmoe who has to live in the city of the police department I investigate, to have my kids educated by the schools I dig into. If I'm seen as a guy who has an agenda when I report, my rep in town is garbage.

Draft saved Draft deleted