1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coach K's Big Fat Fib

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 26, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

By now you've undoubtedly seen or heard about the controversy involving Oregon's 30-foot shot at the end of the game, with the outcome already decided but with a gap between the shot clock and the game clock. Dillon Brooks hit a 30-footer and cheered afterward. He and Mike Krzyzewski, Molder Of Men, had a longer-than-usual postgame exchange.

Said Brooks: "(He said) I'm too good of a player to be showing off at the end. He's right."

Said Krzyzewski: "I didn't say that. You can say whatever you want. Dillon Brooks is a hell of a player. I said, 'You're a terrific player.' And you can take whatever he said and then go with it, all right?"

But the controversy wouldn't die. And now we have this, a statement from Molder Of Men: “Today, I spoke with Oregon coach Dana Altman and apologized to him for my remarks to Dillon Brooks following our game. It is not my place to talk about another team’s player and doing so took the focus away from a terrific game Dillon played. In the postgame press conference, I reacted incorrectly to a reporter’s question about my comment to Dillon.”

What's this? What would cause Krzyzewski to re-evaluate his postgame comments and realize that he had in fact delivered a stern lecture about sportsmanship to the other team's best player? What would it have been after he was so adamant that Brooks had imagined the exchange?

What could it be? Whatever could it be?

Video Emerges of Krzyzewski's Talk with Dillon Brooks

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Vigorous jacking-off gesture.

If you don't like people hitting 3-point shots on you, stop them. If you can't stop them, STFU.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Disclaimer: I'm no Duke fan.

Yeah, he lied, for some reason I don't understand. But I don't think it's out of line for Krzyzewski to say that to the kid. It wasn't a stern lecture. He simply pulled the kid close and told him he was too good to be showboating at the end of a 15-point win. The kid knew K was right and said said he was sorry. I actually think he was right for doing it. Maybe the kid looked up to K and Duke his entire life and realized that if someone as important to the game as K has been says something like that to you, you should probably listen.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I reacted incorrectly? Weasel statement. It's not an apology if you can't admit you made a mistake. The mistake wasn't what he said but that he lied about it.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I like how he included the fact that he was national team coach in his statement. The man brags even when he's apologizing.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's like the old commercial says:

HEE'S NAHT JIST A BYASKETBAHL COACH

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Lol at reacted incorrectly.

Three Bags, I don't think it's K's place to lecture opposing players in the handshake line. And if K thinks it's okay, he sure as help should own it in the presser. Not lie.

service_gamer, HanSenSE and heyabbott like this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh bullshit. Brooks made a 3 and pumped his fist once at the floor.

If Krzyzyxptlk thinks that's "showboating," he's missed a few decades of pelvic thrusting, hip pumping, crotch grabbing and arm waving gyrations that make Brooks' fist pump look feeble.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Game
    Set
    Match

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I didn't look at it as a lecture. I thought it was more of a word of advice from a great coach to a great player. It was a teaching point. There was no foul language or shouting or finger pointing. He pulled him in close and gave him some advice while complimenting him.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Then why deny it and lie about? Clearly St K was embarrassed being caught coaching another team's player about sportsmanship, having abdicated that job for his own player all season.

Tweener likes this.
  12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

K would never put up with one of his guys showboating like that.

heyabbott likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted