1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wow. RIP Garry Shandling

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Mar 24, 2016.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Man. 66 is pretty young.

RIP

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Pretty underrated comic. People don't realize how he was everywhere in the 1980s and early 90s.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Holy shit. First Ken Howard, now Garry Shandling. On top of everyone else this year famous... damn.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I loved the theme to Its Gary Shandling Show.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Dang. Didn't expect to see this.

The Larry Sanders Show was inspired.

RIP.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I still think The Larry Sanders Show is among the top five all-time shows.

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

"It's Garry Shandling's Show" and "The Larry Sanders Show" were both groundbreaking and personal favorites. Huge loss.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

People will usually point to "The Larry Sanders Show," but I always enjoyed "It's Garry Shandling's Show," which was pretty clever breaking-the-fourth-wall program I was able to watch when my family had Showtime. The one episode that stands out is the takeoff on "The Graduate," where Norman Fell made a guest appearance and supplied Garry and his girlfriend with the same cross to bar the door.

Also, he had an interesting special that was on HBO or Showtime in late 1980s or early '9os, "The Garry Shandling Show's 25th Anniversary," where he essentially did a takeoff on Carson's anniversary specials, pretending he had a talk show all those years and showing fake historic clips of stuff that supposedly happened during the show.

And, he really was a great standup without having to get too racy or profane. IIRC, he was a comedy writer for sitcoms like "Welcome Back, Kotter" and decided to drop that and start his standup career, which of course led to the TV and movies later on.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

As mentioned lots of RIP threads lately. The Ken Howard one was a downer because it was a good memory from my childhood.

This one is more of a downer because I loved both his shows as a young adult. Not a very logical reaction I know but his death makes me a bit sad.

66 way too young.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Dammit.

I don't know if anything has made me consistently laugh harder than The Larry Sanders Show.

Draft saved Draft deleted