1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mileage deduction for freelance work

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doubledown68, Mar 24, 2016.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

My tax time approaches, and I foolishly realize that I haven't kept track of the mileage I've driven for freelance stuff.

Through the magic of Google Maps and saving every story on my laptop, I know what dates I was where, and how many miles I drove to get there. What I don't know is the exact odometer reading.

Soooo... do I need the odometer readings? Or not?

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

No. (But it's helpful.)

Use the standard federal rate for mileage -- it was something like 52 cents a mile the last time I worked freelance -- and submit it that way on your tax return. If you're audited, just call up the stories and show that you did drive the miles you said claimed.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Fair enough. I figure between the fact that the stories were published, and that the miles were driven for verified events, that should be sufficient. Seems about as cut-and-dried as mileage claims get.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You could look at your odometer and "estimate." But that would involve math. Probably too dangerous for a journalist.

SnarkShark likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted