1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steph Curry and Under Armour

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Excellent story about UA signing Curry to a sneaker deal.
    Nike dropped the ball and let him slip through their fingers. Great gamble by UA on the benchwarmer.

TrueHoop Presents: You won't believe how Nike lost Steph

There as a 30-for-30 on sneakers wars a while back, really fascinating stuff. This story meshes into that.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

UA also managed to sign Jordan Spieth ahead of any of the other big golf apparel companies.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And Bryce Harper when he was 18.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Nike is bound itself to Kobe then LeBron. Neither player has generated the positive cross over appeal of Jordan. Not racial, but cultural. They still sell a shit ton of product, but there's no cache to Kobe and LeBron outside of kids. Kobe's been done and LeBron is soulless and will soon become a mercenary if the rumors are true.

Right now Moms like Steph Curry, your grandmother can root for him. He's Jeter. LeBron is ARod -lite everyone recognize that ARod was better, but Jeter was MrPopular.

Nike is the corporate monolith with no soul, LeBron is the perfect spokesman

2 points in the article resonated strongly. Mike Kryzyewski's 2012 Olympic team were all Nike players. And LeBron works for Nike, he just plays temporarily for Cleveland. Your primary employer is the one that pays you the most.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

4,700 words on a shoe contract.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Did you see the dollar amounts involved? Michael Jordan made $100,000,000.00 last year, alone, from Nike. His NBA career earnings were$95 M.

its not about shoe contracts, it's about capitalism itself

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's a great story. I'm surprised it's 4,700 words. It didn't read that way. Which is the trick to writing a good 4,700-word story.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's nothing.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

To each his own, I guess. Didn't hold my interest in the least. The headline had me interested, but the botched pitch meeting was the only part that delivered for me.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I got a pair of Derrick Rose shoes at the Adidas outlet for like $150 off. The high school kids at the Y tease me, but they are the best basketball shoes I've ever owned.

So here's to fallen MVP's.

Draft saved Draft deleted