1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Food/restaurant rant

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Mar 23, 2016.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

This whole "Foodie" craze seems to have given rise to people and establishments that are either snobbish about the process of eating or want to make decisions for adults. My examples:

1. Two of my favorite restaurants are P.F. Chang's and Jimmy Johns. But both have made the unilateral decision for me that they will not have salt and pepper on the premises. I love salt and pepper on a lot of things. My blood pressure is normal so bite me. I want to make the choice.

2. I'm tired of having the food snobs (many of whom are family and friends) make snide remarks about the way I happen to want to eat things. Specifically, I will use a fucking fork when I damn well please. I will eat hot pizza with a fork (it's a bit easier when it comes out of the oven at 2,000 degrees). I will eat oriental food with a fork instead of chopsticks. I cannot get more than four kernels of fried rice on a set of chopsticks. I'm not a whiz eating with two fucking sticks. Sue me. But don't imply that I'm somehow degrading the experience by using a fork.

3. Stop telling me I don't know what's good for me because I drink Bud Lite, Mich Ultra, Bud Lite Lime or Corona. Stop telling me I'm drinking crappy beer. It's your opinion and your taste buds vs. mine. I've tried your craft beers. I don't like beer that tastes like apples, wheatfields or maple syrup. Let me drink what the fuck I want without being judgmental.

There, rant over? Anyone else have some favorite peeves in this regard?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You obviously also don't like beer that tastes like beer.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"Oriental" food?

OscarMadison and Songbird like this.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Didn't Jimmy John's do away with salt years ago?

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You lost me at "Two of my favorite restaurants are P.F. Chang's and Jimmy Johns."

Ace, TigerVols, YankeeFan and 4 others like this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

There's plenty of salt in their mayo.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I don't need to see daily Facebook updates about your exciting digestive cleansing project, thanks.

Keep that shit to yourself, and I do mean that literally, too.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Don't feel the need to post a photo of every fucking meal you eat on social media, either.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Do you know how much salt is in shitty, processed lunch meats?

P.S. -- I'm with you on chopsticks. Fuck those things.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Congrats to Dickie, who has given up ethnic slurs for Lent. #courage

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I love good food and good wine. Spend far too much of my money on nice dinners and red wine (and luckily most restaurants in my area are BYO). But with the exception of beer snobs, there are very few people more insufferable than foodies and wine snobs.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Except vegetarian foodies and wine snobs. They seem to think they're better than the rest of us foodies and wine snobs.

SpeedTchr likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted