1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FlockU sports college contributors

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by AndrewJAlbert01, Mar 18, 2016.

1. AndrewJAlbert01

AndrewJAlbert01 New Member

Hello all,

This is a call to all college sports journalists (hopefully you're checking this site). FlockU is a start-up website for college students, written by college students. The sports section just launched Sunday, and we are looking for regular contributors.

It's not traditional sports coverage, and we have a specific voice. We cover all sports at all levels, and you decide what you write. We pay $50 per article that we run. Pretty sweet deal to make some money while in school.

If you're interested, or have any questions, send an e-mail to aalbert@flocku.com.

2. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

1. I'm apparently way too old to write on this site
    2. Who'd want to write about sports when you can write about scoring in other ways on this site?
    3. That's all I have to say about that

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

4. It's not April 1 yet.

TexasVet likes this.
  4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Sweet deal, brah.

How can your publication have a "specific voice" while allowing writers to "decide what (they) write"?

5. SportyGirl

SportyGirl New Member

Sounds like hot mess.

6. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Agree.

7. eddie.johnson

eddie.johnson New Member

Wait, I can combine my passions for sports and anonymous college sex? Sign me up.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Is there at least beer money to be had out of this enterprise?

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Don't quit your day job.
    If I had $1 for every one of these super-neat-o, awesome start-ups that so generously offer writers the chance to "build their brand" and "get exposure" but offer nothing in real compensation, I'd have the funds to start my own journalistic Ponzi scheme.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Fifty a story actually isn't terrible, but I'm skeptical of a site that's going to age out of its target audience and work force within a few years.

Batman likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm generally leery of most web sites for a variety of reasons, but as Jake said $50 a story isn't bad, especially if you're just writing columns or takes and not actually doing any legwork.
    Most of these sites offer $0 a story.

12. Sam_Eith

Sam_Eith New Member

Update: They already changed the payscale here from $50 per story to "page view based". Sad

Draft saved Draft deleted