1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam LaRoche and his son

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I know there's a discussion going on the baseball thread - I figured this was worth its own so that thread can go back to baseball.

Dealt with LaRoche some when he was with the Nats (and briefly many years ago when he was in Richmond). One of the best, always made time, always had something good to say. Gracious, patient, friendly. Drake LaRoche was always around but never around if that made sense. I've never seen a kid blend in so effortlessly. I wasn't around the Nats all the time but I never got the sense that anyone had an issue. One of Werth's sons was around some, too, but nowhere near as often as Drake.

I can't help but think the Sox are trying to force his hand and get his $13 million contract off their books. He had such a bad year last year. If he had hit his usual .270 or so with 25 HR and 90 RBI, I think Drake would still be welcome.

What say you? It isn't your typical workplace, so I think Williams is full of shit there.

Group

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think Williams is full of shit, too, but holy cow, as a parent, about the last place I'd want my teenage son to hang out would be a big league clubhouse. Just the place to learn to learn about the opposite sex. Of course, the LaRoche kid has been around them pretty much his whole life, so it may not be the same thing.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

This story reminds me of when Dusty Baker's son nearly got steamrolled at home plate in a postseason game many years ago.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Pretty sure you and LaRoche lead very different lives and likely raise your kids in very different ways.

Williams is full of shit. LaRoche probably couldn't care less, though. He'll go hunting and run his restaurants. He's made more money then he'll ever be able to spend.

Good for him. Was one of my favorite Nats.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Kornheiser, Wilbon, and a few talking heads I've seen wax about it are in complete agreement with Williams.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I've known Tony and Mike a long time, and I respect their past work and like them as people. But man, nobody ever made a more complete transition from young turk to old fart than they have.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

There wasn't a chance in hell, heaven or universe that Wilbon wouldn't back Williams.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I'm sure there will be a lot of valuable lessons to be learned in a baseball clubhouse. Like how to correctly spit sunflower seeds. Or how to give a teammate the hot foot. Or how to add extra frosting to a cake. Or determining if a cake smells funny. Or how to get through the postgame food line without dragging your dick through the cold cuts.

cyclingwriter2 and HanSenSE like this.
  9. Songbird

Not lockstep but rather in the vein of everything in moderation.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yogi Berra could have taught a lot of Yankee sons about the last subject.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Jerry Reuss was the clubhouse leader for the Dodgers.

12. Songbird

Before or after the no-hitter?

Draft saved Draft deleted