1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana Jones 5: So Very Tired

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

His BMI is 23.5, though.
    Can he get a mag cover?

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Granted Ford is old as shit, but I think they can work around that. The real key is to have an interesting and well-known McGuffin. The two Indy flicks that worked best - Raiders and Last Crusade - were both centered around his quest to recover artifacts that everyone was aware of (the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail). When he was searching for sankara stones and crystal skulls - both real artifacts that no one had ever heard of - the results were poor to disastrous (I actually liked Temple of Doom, but I know I'm in an extreme minority on that one).

Also, they should follow J.J. Abrams lead with his approach to The Force Awakens and go back to focusing on practical effects and real locations whenever possible. George Lucas's quest to make sure actors never had to set foot off a soundstage was a monumental failure.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Indiana Jones 5: Indiana Jones and the Search for Indy's Bones

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I like what Tony Kornheiser said today on PTI when Wilbon set him up by asking, "What is Indy Jones looking for?"

"Simmons and Whitlock?"

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Indiana Jones and The Golden Corral!

You can bet there will be menacing robots! #OldGloryInsurance.

TowelWaver, HC, Ace and 1 other person like this.
  7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Indiana Jones 5: The Search for Shia's Career.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Will they just write Shia out, recast, or bring him back?

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

FTFY

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Shia has to be gone. The last flick was mediocre, but Ford was good.

Stories have said it'll be back to practical effects. Good. And will reflect Ford's actual age. So, set in the 1960s?

My guess is one last ride with Ford as Indy. Hell, he's still in good shape for his 70s.

Then Disney does a reboot with a new Indy, set in the 1920s.

Can't really see it has a father-to-son "handoff"'movie. Gotta go back to the beginning.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I agree. Indy works so much better as a 1940s period action/adventure, particularly to convey the feel of the 1940s serials that Lucas was trying to capture when he conceived of Raiders. If you set Indiana Jones in the present or even recent past, it treads too much on the same territory as the DaVinci Code and National Treasure. We want to see Indy trying to beat the Nazis to an ancient artifact, not ISIS or the Illuminati.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Yep. Temple of Doom was set in 1934. Raiders in 1936 and Crusade in 1938.

I could see a reboot staring in 1922 or so. Gotta pick one hell of an actor to pull if off. Same with the Han Solo origin movie coming out in a few years.

Draft saved Draft deleted