1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zika and climate change

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Mar 14, 2016.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I poked around on the first five or so pages and didn't see anything about the zika virus. My apologies if t his is a duplicate.

I'm assuming that this will be a significant story from Rio this summer, and rightfully so, but my real interest here is this: Last year we had the hottest year on record. El Nino was supposed to create a colder than normal winter, which didn't materialize, particularly in the South, where winter temperatures didn't stay low enough long enough to beat back insect populations. For the purposes of this conversation, I'm thinking about mosquitoes.

So my doomsday scenario is the climate continues to warm, mosquitoes thrive in the perpetually warm temps and the diseases they spread - Zika, malaria, whatever else - mushroom into pandemics both for humans and for livestock raised for food. To me, that's worse than any discussion about rising sea levels. If I had to predict the end of the human race, it wouldn't be global warming or another asteroid strike. It would be this.

Anybody here have similar thoughts?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This has now joined my Top 5 favorite doomsday theories.

1) Peak Oil
    2) zombie virus
    3) mosquito uprising
    4) alien invasion
    5) asteroid

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I'm prepared for the zombie apocalypse. With any of the other four, though, I'm really and truly fucked.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

There's always Minnesota.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

We're all dead when the bees disappear, so why worry about the rest?

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

"Let me tell you, we will knock the mosquitoes on their ass. We will take care of the bees."

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

That's where you're wrong. The entire jobless-lower-middle-class-white-people-in-the-Rust-Belt thing will be solved when we need them to dust all the trees and flowers with pollen.

8. swingline

Nah. Trump will make the Mexicans come back over the wall and pollinate by hand.

9. swingline

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Swingline and I are going to fight this out in a televised debate now.

WHO WILL BE THE BEE PEOPLE?!

11. swingline

Let me tell you, I'm gonna make bees great again. We'll have the best bees, bees like you can't imagine in your wildest dreams. Fuckin' A.

LongTimeListener and Brian like this.
  12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

How much money did you get from Big Honey?

I think everybody should get free honey. As much as they want.

Draft saved Draft deleted