1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bizarre NY Daily News story on Richard Simmons

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Read it on Longform.

I think the housekeeper did it. With hallucinogens. In the bedroom.

And the image kept creeping into my head as I read this ...

[​IMG]

studthug12 likes this.
  3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I would hardly call that riveting. Marginal piece, at best. Hardly worth the time it took to read.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No one called it riveting. ... except you to say that it wasn't.

The story itself is interesting. Once upon a time, a Richard Simmons appearance somewhere was decent trainwreck radio or TV. Howard Stern and David Letterman got it.

I hadn't thought about him in a while. And I had no clue he had disappeared from the public eye, so the story was interesting to me.

That only makes for a better story if the reporter can solve the mystery of what is going on. And it is clear that Martino got stonewalled in his attempts. So he went with what he had. He maybe fluffed it slightly too much with some extraneous details. But it didn't kill the effort for me.

The masseuse who saw a meal ticket sounded like a piece of work.

6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Sorry. Please inquire at the front desk about a refund of your time.

jr/shotglass and YankeeFan like this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yeah, that guy was a train wreck. I loved Richard's appearances on Stern. IIRC, there's a story in Stern's first book about Simmons saying he'd rather have relations with a woman than go on Scott Shannon's show. The way Stern described the ensuing meltdown was hilarious.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Simmons was always great on Letterman, too. Like Dolly Parton, pre-candidate Donald Trump and a few others, he was a self parody who was also in on the joke.

9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I was shocked to not see Simmons somewhere during Letterman's last year. That's how bad his condition or situation was.

10. Simons has issues, no doubt. Probably crippling drepsssion.
    The idea some guy who knew him for 13 months was part of inner circle is a joke. And a house keeper for 30 years is now controlling him? I doubt it.

How does the writer know the interior of Simmons' houses like the dolls? I assume he's basing his destruction of things from the masseuse's visit?

11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Simmons' appearance on Whose Line Is It Anyway was pretty darn funny.

reformedhack likes this.
  12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

He really wasn't decent trainwreck radio or tv. It was decent trainwreck radio or tv to mock him. Stern mentioned a few months ago that no one had heard from him. He should send out Richard and Sal to find R Simmons. JMHO, but Elegant Elliot was much better trainwreck radio and Stern should have him back.

Draft saved Draft deleted