1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selection Sunday Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'll go ahead and say it now.
    People will be screaming about Wichita State and Monmouth come late tomorrow night.
    I don't think either one of them get in, although they both probably should.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Wichita State should get in. No shame in losing to Northern Iowa now, as they've won 11 of 12 or something like that.

I'll be howling more if CBS strokes itself for 110 of the new 120 minute show before revealing all of the field. CBS and ESPN have a way of taking something wonderful in sports and fucking it up through self-aggrandizement.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Doesn't CBS pretty much get right to it? Then spend the last 85% of the telecast arguing?

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No, they do the four No. 1s first and then one bracket each segment. So it's close to an hour before the full field is revealed.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In past years it's been, here are the four one seeds, commercial, regional draw, commercial, etc. Then interviews with coaches and arguing. It's the ads that make it seem drawn out, and they have to be upfront as CBS knows damn well people tune out as soon as the field is completely announced.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The more I look at Monmouth's resume, the less I have a problem with the Hawks not being in the field. If there's one thing a mid-major can't have in an at-large situation, it's multiple awful losses. I really don't think they'll get in.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This year due to the inability of almost every team to hold its form throughout the season, I am more interested in the matchups than who is in or out. So I have no argument to make until tomorrow night.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't really see what Wichita State or Monmouth has done to get an at large. If we are talking about resumes from this year -- and not considering what WSU has done in recent seasons -- there's not much there.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wait a sec. Now it's a two-hour show?

They'd better not drag out the selections for two hours. As is, I get tired of seeing the shots of each team sitting there, then jumping all around. It used to to be fine when they just showed four or five teams, including some a couple of bubble teams who weren't sure if they were going to make it or not. Now they show a couple dozen teams, all who already know they're in. It's mind-numbing.

HanSenSE and I Should Coco like this.
  10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

My only question: If you don't count the American, will any mid-major school get an at large bid? Maybe Wichita St. Maybe St. Mary's.

Let's face it, mediocre SEC and Big 10 teams move the ratings needle more. The NCAA tournament committee and ESPN/FBS playoff pickin' committees are looking more and more the same to me.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I heard it was two hours, Baron. Our sports anchors were talking about this yesterday because we have to figure out travel plans, budgets, etc. I confess I haven't confirmed this on my DVR guide yet.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I heard the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted