1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Something's a little off in Georgia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by fossywriter8, Mar 11, 2016.

1. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere, but I didn't see it.
    Georgia High School Association officials are catching heat for baskets placed improperly at state basketball title games.
    GHSA, Macon Coliseum take heat for misaligned baskets

Few things sprang to mind to me.
    1) How could it happen?
    2) After learning of a possible issue on the second night, how could they not double check and even make a change between games? These were all title games, so the winning teams wouldn't be affected later.
    3) Seven divisions in both girls and boys basketball? The GHSA website showed only 454 schools this year and 455 next year, and one class only has 48 schools for the 2016-17 season.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That's because the devil went down there.

And Arkansas is set up the same way with almost half the number of schools. There are only 16 schools in each of the top two classifications.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Norman Dale just looked for another player to punch.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"I think you'll find these are the exact same measurements as our gym in Hickory."
    "Uh, no, coach, the free throw line is 16 feet."
    "What the fuck? Who laid out this court, drunk-ass Shooter on his Saturday night bender?"

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The worst part was players getting rebounds right under the basket and coming down out of bounds.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

You'd think the Coliseum staff would have some tape or Sharpie marks on the floor to indicate roughly where the goals should be set up. smh

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The GHSA, long incapable of organizing a two-car funeral, strikes again.

Third-quarter scoring error costs Greater Atlanta Christian girls in Final Four OT loss

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

That crew at the scorer's table should never work a playoff game again. That stuff is bad, especially for a state semifinal.

Also, I love this part -- "At that time, the lead official in the game was asked to check the official scorebook, which he did. He confirmed that the score in the book matched the score on the scoreboard." Of course it did. Because I'm sure the scoreboard operator asked the person doing the book what the score was.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Does everybody in Georgia manage the game like Kyle Shanahan?

exmediahack likes this.
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It was God's will.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Brav-fucking-O.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This guy is a fucking idiot:

"The goals were the same distance into the court at both ends of the floor," GHSA Executive Director Gary Phillips said in the association's statement. "The playing conditions were exactly the same for both teams on the court and for all of the 14 championship games that were played. So I can't see any reason we would consider changing the outcomes.

"Only one coach even mentioned a possible problem, and my basketball staff watched the games closely and did not notice any appreciable effect on the shooting or the play of any of the teams. Some of the teams even shot extremely well from both the floor and the free throw line. But, overall, it looked like typical championship play.

"While this certainly was not an ideal situation or one that we wanted to have happen, we think the conditions were fair for all the teams. And, more importantly, it was the same for all the teams. We have plans to make sure this never happens again, but we have no plans to change anything that happened this week in Macon."

Draft saved Draft deleted