1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you pay $50 to watch first-run movies at home the day they're released in theaters?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 10, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A bit expensive, but I like the concept. Get it down to the $20-25 range, and I'm in.

The rare movie I see in a first-run theater — Star Wars Episode VII was the last one — is usually a miserable experience of too-loud speakers, people constantly coming and going from a very long row of seats, and sitting way too close to the screen unless I get there the instant the doors open. Watching Star Wars in a theater literally gave me a headache.

In the long run, the movie industry should like this view-at-home concept, too. Bringing the product directly to fans should help both the movie makers and the viewers. Movie theater owners (mostly huge corporations) are annoying middle men who overcharge for everything, so I have little sympathy for them if this hurts their business.

3. MisterCreosote

Far as I can tell, the price is that expensive precisely because of all the concessions they're giving to pissed off theater owners.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes, without a doubt. Next question?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So many things working against this getting off the ground. ... but he is trying to bribe the theater chains by cutting them in. ... on a deal that could ultimately put them out of business. I am sure they have to see that. This may be inevitable (or may not be; I really don't know), but at this moment, the theater chains have A LOT of leverage with the distributors. I can't imagine they aren't using their sway to try to squash this idea before it ever it can gain any traction.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The market for grown-up movies at the theater has really dried up in recent years, I think, for many reasons. TV is better. Parents are more involved with their kids and go on less dates. When they do, they often go to restaurants. Also, home theaters and vast selections of instantly watchable movies make it worth it to just stay home.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

My favorite line from the article:

Box office hit record levels last year, crossing $11 billion for the first time in history.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I'm electing not to vote on this issue. It could be a game-changer for this site. #courage

10. MisterCreosote

My hunch is this will do good business with a handful of movies per year, and otherwise be useless.

There's a major difference between paying $50 to avoid theaters for Star Wars and doing the same for the latest Adam Sandler comedy.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Since you have to pay $150 for the equipment, you'd need to watch 60 movies to make the average price even $52.50.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Everyone here knows that means little since the Fed keeps printing money.

Draft saved Draft deleted