1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Idaho shooting suspect arrested outside White House

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by I Should Coco, Mar 9, 2016.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

This was brought up a couple times in the presidential primary/politics thread, but it deserves its own mention

To summarize, a former Marine from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho (in the panhandle portion of the state) shot a local church pastor on Sunday afternoon, in the church parking lot. The minister happened to be the one who gave the invocation the previous day at a Ted Cruz rally.

Pastor Tim Remington — who amazingly survived despite being shot six times — specialized in ministry to drug addicts, ex-cons, etc., so many believed that was the connection between the pastor and the suspect, Kyle Odom.

But somehow — despite Odom's description and mugshot being sent out by police and being plastered all over the media by Sunday night — Odom drove down to Boise, boarded a plane Monday morning and flew to Washington D.C. He was arrested there Tuesday night outside the White House, throwing stuff over the fence.

Suspect in shooting of Idaho pastor arrested after items thrown over White House fence

This nutter also sent letters and "manifestos" to local media outlets, with rantings about President Obama, members of Congress, members of the Israeli government and another pastor at the church where he allegedly shot Remington. He supposedly wrote on Facebook that Remington was part of a Martian takeover of Earth. More details about the crazy talk:

Suspect Kyle Odom claims shooting victim a 'Martian' on Facebook

Between this, today's primary election and Gonzaga's WCC win, a crazy night in our shop.

2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

So are there Martians in Coeur d'Alene or what?

3. I Should Coco

I'm not sure. Better bring in Dana Scully to investigate ... :D

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Just the French

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Coeur d'Alene, where Mark Fuhrman is a liberal.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Where men are men and sheep are scared

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Had fried bull balls in Coeur d'Alene. That's all I got.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Hope this guy wasn't former poster and moderator Idaho.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did he ride his bicycle to Washington, D.C.?

10. I Should Coco

More details today about the shooter's "manifesto." Maybe he ate too many fried bull balls, Mr. Sunshine ...

From the AP story:

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That's some cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs right there. Whew.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Schizophrenia generally manifests in the early 20s for males, so senior year of college would put him right in line for that if he followed the traditional student timeline.

Draft saved Draft deleted