1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think of this choice of cameras for shooting sports ?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Smith, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Member

2. djdennisOU

djdennisOU Member

I don't know what sort of budget you have for a camera, but I'd aim for something better than a point-and-shoot for sports photography. My girlfriend bought a Canon Rebel T5 bundle from QVC for $450-500 on a 6-month payment plan. It includes a decent lens for sports photography. I shoot with a Rebel T3i and am looking into purchasing a T5 myself this way, and I know how reliable and affordable these cameras can be.

I looked into it earlier myself and it comes out to about $91 a month.

Jim Van Matre likes this.
  3. Jim Van Matre

Jim Van Matre New Member

I agree with the other comment on your post Bob. I believe you might want to go into a little higher level of cameras. Qvc or hsn are great for stretching out your money and they have better cameras starting at 150.00 if you can't invest in a Canon rebel. I have been looking for a second camera and I have settled on a Canon x50 for 249.99 from qvc. I shoot with a Olympus 560 uz 18x zoom which shoots great pictures but I need a better zoom because I cover Baseball and I take a lot of action shots. So you have a few idea's and I'm sure there will be more coming your way. But it depends on one's budget to determine which camera to buy. Good Luck Bob

djdennisOU likes this.
  4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

You need a SLR to shoot action if you want anything of quality.

expendable and murphyc like this.
  5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

This. Depending on the budget, there are different options. One of the above cameras might work for non-action stuff, but for sports a DSLR is the way to go. If funds are limited (which I'm guessing is the case, based on the above cameras), I'd say try to find something like a used Nikon D1H or D2Hs (but not D2H). I can't remember what the similar older Canons would be (20D?), but those would be good ones as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted