1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Criminal justice in the USA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ace, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sunday's 60 Minutes really highlighted the discrepancies in the criminal justice system for me.

One case was a young Hispanic guy who was a crack dealer and fled police when they attempted to pull him over for running a stop sign. During the pursuit, police put rumble sticks in the road to flatten his tires. He drove around them and hit and killed an officer.

Another was a coal executive who micro-managed, bullied and threatened his mine employees to ignore safety roles, cover up violations and work in dangerous, illegal conditions. The result? 29 miners died in an explosion because coal dust was not properly ventilated.

Guess which one received the death penalty and which was convicted only of a misdemeanor.

If you could give the death penalty to only one, which would it be?

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Let's bring the Hispanic drug dealers to heal first, then we can focus on corporate big wigs.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

A drug dealer who killed a cop. Very sympathetic. Stick with math.

old_tony likes this.
  4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can probably set up a schedule for you guys to put lotion on and massage the big-wig's ankle where the ankle bracelet may chafe if you guys want to help with that.

5. Mr. Sunshine

What is your point? Are you in favor of justice by multiple choice? Are you suggesting there be racial and occupational quotas for the death penalty?

Did it not occur to you that the cross of a cop-killing crack dealer is not the best one to die on?

old_tony likes this.
  6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Pff, someone will probably just try to heal him with $20 aspirin...

SpeedTchr likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The point is that some poor schlub who robs a quickmart for $100 gets the slammer, while a white collar guy who steals literally millions gets a slap on the wrist. I don't have any sympathy for the first guy, but that does not excuse the "justice" that the executive gets.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I don't think he's arguing for a lesser penalty for the cop-killer. He's arguing for tougher penalties for the corporate big wig who caused the death of 29 innocent people.

9. Mr. Sunshine

I realize that, but the argument would be more effective if he left the cop-killing crack dealer out of it.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Actually, having watched the episode last night I have more respect for the crack dealer who took full responsibility for his actions and acknowledged his guilt while the mass murderer doesn't. It was a pretty powerful contrast in the context of the show.

Donny in his element and Ace like this.
  11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It is a shame Blankenship won't be more heavily penalized. His cynical disregard of safety regulations resulted in the deaths of 29 miners and endangered countless others over the years.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't favor the death penalty. I don't believe the crack dealer deserved it because I don't think he intended to kill the police officer.

He took his punishment well, though.

The coal exec is a true piece of shit who should be forced to work alongside his miners for a year as his punishment.

Draft saved Draft deleted