1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Law school graduate's case against law school will go to trial

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

She's the first to successfully bring to trial a case that her law school inflated employment numbers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/07/b...ng-law-school-of-inflating-job-data.html?_r=0

She now has student debt of $170,000, with loan interest around 8 percent. Her law degree was not a ticket to a stable, well-paying career, but an expensive detour before she went on to work in a series of part-time positions, mostly temporary jobs reviewing documents for law firms.

As her debt mounted and her job prospects faltered, she filed a lawsuit in 2011, arguing that she would not have enrolled at Thomas Jefferson if she had known the law school’s statistics were misleading.

Thomas Jefferson’s average student indebtedness, then about $137,000 — higher than that at Stanford Law School the same year — was among the highest in the nation. She also pointed to her school’s bar passage rate as consistently lower than 50 percent, which was below the average in California.

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Think she'll lose if she was really offered a $60k job with a law firm, as the law school claims?

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

This should get her a book deal, or at the very least a longform piece on her journey.

4. Dick Whitman

I definitely think that's a really bad fact for her. Even if she's correct, that the school fraudulently inflated employment statistics, she has to show that she was damaged by that fact.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How is it that you can buy a car in this country with interest rates with 0 percent interest and student loan rates are 8 percent or more.

Schools out to offer low interest loans themselves. Instead of offering a $5,000 scholarship to 100 people, offer a zero interest loan to 500 applicants.

6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Your math doesn't work.Why would schools take the risk of funding loans and take on collection services themselves?

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You can repossess a car.

8. Dick Whitman

I owe an astronomical amount. I'll never pay it all back. Or at least it's highly unlikely. I use the "Income Based Repayment Plan." If you have an economic "hardship," your payment is capped. After 20 years, the remaining amount is forgiven, though you are taxed on it as income for that year.

9. Dick Whitman

Right. One of the partners here and I were talking about this the other day. That's why you can't discharge student loans in bankruptcy, either. There has to be some incentive for you to have to pay. Otherwise, I could just file bankruptcy and, seven years later, have perfect credit without paying back a dime. In fact, I'd probably consider it. I don't need credit for anything any more.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Instead of giving away $5,000, they can get it back.

Right now, schools are relying too much on the government and banks to throw money at students to attend their schools. Take on some of that yourself.

11. Dick Whitman

What's in it for them? As it is now, they've already been paid. Why should they take on the risk themselves if someone else is willing to do it?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

People are starting to look at college as a bad investment. Schools seem to be doing very little to lower costs or increase value.

This would be a way some schools could help make it more affordable for more students.

It makes your school more attractive. And pro-active.

Draft saved Draft deleted