1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10-letter word for copying a crossword puzzle

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Mar 6, 2016.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Plagiarism accusations strike the crossword puzzle world.

USA Today and syndicated crossword puzzler Timothy Parker is accused of repackaging old NYT crosswords, many times using pseudonyms. Beyond that, he is accused of simply taking years-old puzzles he edited and republishing them under fake names.

I like this part:

Parker has used freelancers but told me that he has an in-house team of 60 at Universal that helps him create the puzzles. He declined to put me in touch with any of them, saying that I could speak to him “as the editor” and citing “trade secrets.” When I wondered aloud whether these contributors existed at all, Parker said that “even if they didn’t, that has nothing to do with the crosswords.”

Sure, 60 people just to put out crosswords.

A Plagiarism Scandal Is Unfolding In The Crossword World

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Thread title is a 6.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ridiculous?

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Saw the thread title and thought: palindrome.

Not associated with Sarah, of course.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Xerox paper? Oh wait, that's two words.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A good read, especially for us crossword-solving nerds. Thanks for the link, TSP.

• • •​

Crossword Geek Threadjack: In this era of smartphones, what is considered "cheating" for those solving crossword puzzles?

Traditionally, the dictionary and world atlas were considered forbidden reference guides. Asking/annoying a spouse for help with clues or spelling seems OK in my book.

Our paper prints the NYT Sunday crossword, and I try to do those off-and-on over the course the week, when I have a few minutes to spare. I admit to keeping a weathered list of odd but regular answers (the Yser River, for example), but I'd never look up an answer online. If you're doing that, why bother with the puzzle at all?

TheSportsPredictor likes this.
  7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

As a learning experience, if nothing else.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Lynn Hoppes, that's 10 letters

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'm all for giving people the benefit of the doubt, but it takes 5 seconds to look at some of these "coincidences" and realize the work simply has been copied.

I Should Coco likes this.
  10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I subscribe to two mail-order crossword puzzles that each send a mailing with five puzzles every month. It's a way I relax before bed. Any good crossword-puzzle geek know the many common words and personages that always show up in crosswords. For instance, Bobby Orr is the king of hockey to puzzlers.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted