1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Pat Conroy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

My Losing Season is the best memoir I've read. RIP.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I liked "My Losing Season", as well. But, wow, what a rip job that was of his coach. :)

Conroy was one of my favorite authors when I was younger. "The Lords of Discipline" was my introduction to him, and what a great, searing introduction it was. Probably still ranks as one of the best books I've ever read. "My Losing Season" was probably my second-favorite among his books.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I got onto him when "The Water is Wide" came out. It's been a long, lovely ride. RIP.

Ace likes this.
  5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My brother and I identified pretty strongly with Bull Meecham's kids in The Great Santini, so there's that. We still call our dad Santini. It was a powerful book. I also enjoyed Prince of Tides quite a bit. After that, I picked up a couple more of his books but they began to sound alike.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He wrote the same book every time, but it was a fantastic book.

Steak Snabler and cranberry like this.
  7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I liked "The Water is Wide," didn't like "The Prince of Tides," and have tried a couple of times but could never finish "The Great Santini." I'm not sure why that was. It just didn't appeal, perhaps because I found it very unlike my family and childhood. Maybe I'll try it again, in memoriam.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I've probably read, "My Losing Season" three times, and will read it again. Lots of connections to my alma mater in that book.

Ace likes this.
  10. John

John Well-Known Member

My first writing job out of college was in Columbia, S.C. And every day I recalled Conroy's line in Lords of Discipline: "Columbia, what an armpit of a city."

I think I've read everything he's written, some numerous times. For decades my family has vacationed on the South Carolina coast, so every trip there was like a trip into a Conroy novel (minus all the discord and tragedy).

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine took a newspaper job in beaufort with the hopes of meeting conroy. Never did until he was about to leave town. It turns out conroy went to the convenience store my buddy's wife worked at almost every other day. My buddy was in there when conroy walked in afterward told his wife who that was. She had no idea a regular was her husband's idol.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Introduced to Conroy via The Great Santini. It was recommended by some guys who loved it and didn't really read books.

Read everything he wrote. Wasn't a huge fan of Prince of Tides but loved everything else.

Draft saved Draft deleted