1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter — Casper (Wyo.) Star-Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Ryan Holmgren, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Ryan Holmgren

Ryan Holmgren Member

The Casper Star-Tribune, Wyoming’s statewide newspaper, has an immediate opening for a talented sports writer with the ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines.

The ideal candidate will be adept at covering a wide range of events, while also working some desk shifts. This position’s primary focus is high school sports, but will also cover rodeo, Casper College and the University of Wyoming on occasion.

Casper is home to the College National Finals Rodeo and also hosts the NJCAA Women’s Division I Volleyball Championships. State-culminating tournaments in volleyball, prep wrestling and basketball all take place in town, providing us with an attentive and invested audience.

The Star-Tribune has won numerous APSE awards over a period of years, including six in 2014. Today the Casper Star-Tribune sports team produces comprehensive sports coverage in print, online, mobile and social platforms in a digital-first environment.

Casper, population 60,000, is located in central Wyoming four hours north of Denver and five hours from Yellowstone National Park. This is a full-time position offering a competitive starting salary and benefits including health insurance, paid holidays and vacation, and 401(k). Apply online at www.trib.com/workhere.

Contact sports director Jack Nowlin at jack.nowlin@trib.com with questions. No phone calls please.

The Casper Star-Tribune and parent company Lee Enterprises are Equal Opportunity Employers and maintain a drug-free workplace.

This is my shop, so feel free to PM with questions as well.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Is there still no high school baseball in Wyoming? I remember that being a thing when Brandon Nimmo was drafted.

3. Ryan Holmgren

Ryan Holmgren Member

Correct. There is Legion baseball, however, which begins during the spring for several teams.

4. alexshoemaker

alexshoemaker New Member

The sports guys in Casper are awesome. Jack is a good dude. I was glad to see he got the sports editor gig.

5. pkm

pkm New Member

Has this position been filled?

6. Ryan Holmgren

Ryan Holmgren Member

No, it hasn't. Applications are still being accepted.

7. Ryan Holmgren

Ryan Holmgren Member

I left journalism last month, but figured I'd give folks an update.

Brandon Foster, a Mizzou grad who most recently covered his alma mater and prep sports for the News Tribune in Jefferson City, has been hired to replace me on the University of Wyoming beat. So this GA/preps position is still open. Contact sports director Jack Nowlin to apply.

8. alexshoemaker

alexshoemaker New Member

Sad to hear you're no longer in journalism, Ryan. I enjoyed reading your reports when I was in Wyoming, especially your feature on the UW punter.

Draft saved Draft deleted