1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We won!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"Spotlight" won Best Picture last night. It deserves its own thread.

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Pedophiles

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I rented it after golf and before the Oscars last night. It was very good. Overall, I think it was a pretty weak "best picture" field this year. I wasn't blown away by any of the nominated films. I'd have gone with The Big Short.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

6. Dick Whitman

It's interesting to me that most of my newspaper chums think about it as a movie about journalism. My non-journalism friends seem to see it first and foremost about the Catholic church.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Sure, it's about journalism...the journalism where a few good sources show up at your feet then you ask around and develop a few more and then you discover in the basement of your building what is in essence the high school annuals of your story targets, and, bang, Bob's your uncle.

The Spotlight reporter team did great work and deserves every accolade, but I thought it made for a mediocre move.

9. Dick Whitman

I've seen other people gripe about that part of the movie, as well, and I don't get it. Stories are frequently hiding in plain sight. It's the lack of a "Deep Throat" here that makes this a superior process film to "All the President's Men," I think.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If The Big Short had won, would Ragu have started this thread?

Twirling Time likes this.
  11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like that's what was real about it. The story is under your nose for years and you don't see it. And most stories like that need some kind of documentation so that the bosses will allow it to go into print.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No matter what movie won, a journalist wouldn't have started a thread.

ChrisLong and Brian like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted