1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Friends off the deep end

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 27, 2016.

1. On FB today and I guy went to high school with today posted a link to Go Fund Me campaign for $500 worth of surveillance equipment to catch the CIA spying on him. He's got a 7 minute video, and he typed out his monologue word for word.
    I'm gobsmacked.
    The kid was a little different, quirky, in high school.. but fairly smart. (genius-level IQ) ... I remember we were selling some shit (cleaning products or cookies) for a class fundraiser. He biked out to my house to sell the products. My mom bought some off him. We lived 5 miles out of town and he lived NO WHERE near us. He lived on the other end of the school district.
    Anyway, we've been FB friends for years, but never interacted. He seldom posted. He was overseas, working in S. Korea. Now he's stateside and apparently concerned the CIA is conducting a stealth campaign of harassment against him; including following him on the Appalachian Trail. He said the CIA forced to live in the woods for a year while he was in Korea.
    In the video he shows off the sound suppressing headphones and the earplugs he wears to stave off the noise.
    At first I thought it was a joke. .... It's not.
    Jesus.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Is he voting for Trump or Cruz?

exmediahack likes this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Give him $5 for the entertainment value.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Exactly. The only thing funnier than mental illness is prison rape!

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Are you sure your friend isn't Starman?

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I was about to say, I never knew Starman was in Korea.

7. I messaged his brother.
    The family is aware of his issues.
    Turns out he was deported from Korea. Moved in with his old, frail mother, got violent with her and got the boot... That's how he ended up on Appalachian Trail for about a year.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

How sad. Hope he finds the help he needs.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry, Evil. Sounds like your friend could use some medication.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Being paranoid doesn't mean people aren't following you.

Sounds terrible. I've never been through it with anyone I've know, at least not like that.
    My mother suffered from dementia at the end of her life, and that included bouts of paranoia. Much different circumstances though.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I feel like JC is following me. Maybe cran.

12. He's posted two more videos.
    He can read people's minds and they can reads. He believes he was the inspiration for Harry Potter because the government tried to kill him (by ordering his brain to have a heart attack), and he survived.
    It's surreal listening to him. I knew this kid and he looks OK, and he sounds normal, (speech wise)... but this is .... .... wow. He's a 40-year-old normal looking guy telling a story about being a barista in Charleston. He said he was outside smoking a cigarette and he asked one of his regular customers how much they (CIA) were paying him. The customer told him (jokingly, I'm sure) free coffee. The look my friends gfives in this video .... wow! .... I can't comprehend his mental illness.
    And I know there's little that can done to help him.

Draft saved Draft deleted