1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pimp my bachelor pad: Central America

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Feb 25, 2016.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I've never been a bachelor. I moved straight out of my folks' house at 21 and into the house with my wife. Zero time as a bachelor.

Well, that changes the first week of May when I arrive at Soto Cano Airbase, Honduras, for a one-year tour.

After years in the Army, I travel pretty well. That is to say, I pack well for week- and month-long trips. But I've never had to plan for a trip where I'm expected to stock a kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and living room. Basically, I'll have a 600-square foot efficiency apartment, and I need help with ideas of what to take.

I've got the basics -- pots, pans, dishes, TV -- figured out. But I've never done it, and, well, it'd be nice and quite possibly hilarious to hear what you guys think I need. I've been checking out the bachelor websites, but they seem more interested in bagging chicks than making a functional bachelor pad. While I'm not looking to bag the girl down the street while there, I certainly don't want to live like a college kid.

Whatcha got?

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Small place, so keep everything simple and spare.
    Stuff can pile up fast and overwhelm a small living space.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Start with a good bed and work from there. A work space. Maybe a coffee table and comfortable chair/couch.A coffee table A microwave. You need very little.

4. three_bags_full

It comes with a bed, small oven, couch and recliner. I think I'm going to take my new recliner. Didn't think about the microwave.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Since it's Honduras ... window unit air conditioner and/or box fans?

6. three_bags_full

AC and a ceiling fan are provided.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

OK, then utensils, at least two skillets (one small and one 12-inch), at least two pots, a basic kitchen knife set, a few plates and cups (in case you invite some buddies over).

8. cranberry

Sheets, pillowcases, a blanket and some towels.

9. three_bags_full

I had planned on taking a non-stick egg and my cast iron skillet. The guy I'm replacing said he's leaving his cups and plates, etc.

I think a few utensils -- spatula, whisk and mixing bowl -- and a 3-piece (maybe five) knife set and a cutting board are musts.

10. three_bags_full

To that, I added bathroom rugs, a new shower curtain and a couple of kitchen towels and dish cloths.

11. cranberry

Some kind of outdoor grill might be worthwhile.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If you take all these suggestions, you're not going to have room for the disco ball.

Draft saved Draft deleted