1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where to go after APSE judging

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by @CWrightSDS, Feb 25, 2016.

1. @CWrightSDS

@CWrightSDS Member

Welcome to St. Pete.
    Sure you can scout out your favorite places but figured I'd start with a quick scouting report of 4 craft breweries we like best in St. Pete...These places do their own stuff...plenty of others have a mix.
    3 Daughters: My go-to spot ... on 22nd Street/2nd Ave S., great beer, great outdoor atmosphere, games, family friendly. No TVs, but ping-pong is a huge draw. I'll be there Friday night if anybody wants to talk SEC football.
    Cycle: Closest to judging...On Central Ave, high quality stuff, bit more pricey, cash only.
    Rapp: Requires a drive. Feel like I should do PR for them. I always send guests here. Great beer. Off Bryan Dairy, 30 minutes north of downtown St. Pete. Just added TVs and ping-pong. Usually have food trucks.
    Mad Beach Brewing: Also requires a drive. In Madeira Beach. Huge spot, parking can be an issue. Fun place, good beer, TVs, games, now serves pretty good food. Can be a beach scene.
    Tampa also has dozens, including Cigar City, probably our most famous brewery.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Don't forget Green Bench, St Pete Brewing Co. and Hofbrauhaus. All (relatively) within shouting distance.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you are going out drinking during judging, you're not judging hard enough!

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Meh. Awards are overrated! :)

Tarheel316 and Ace like this.
  5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

OBLIGATORY MONS VENUS REMINDER: IT'S ACROSS THE BRIDGE IN TAMPA.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

35 minutes tops, unless you mis-time the traffic. :)

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Dali Museum.

Ace likes this.
  8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Went to the Dali for the first time in many years late last year and was completely blown away. Some truly astounding work. It's a bit pricey, I guess, but well worth it.

Ace likes this.
  9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

SAME FOR THE PLACE ACROSS THE BRIDGE, ACCORDING TO MY FRIEND.

BDC99 likes this.
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Fart "heard" that Mons is overrated.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Moddy "heard" the same thing many many years ago and then "heard" it wasn't. But he's heard a lot could have changed since then.

Not going to judging this year for a variety of reasons. So someone else will have to report on whether this is all true.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Eh. It is what it is. When in Tampa ... And 2001 Odyssey, almost directly across the street, is just as good/bad. Might even be better. Or so I've "heard."

Draft saved Draft deleted