1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy &$#@! this hurts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Feb 25, 2016.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

About a year ago, I had a root canal to fix a tooth with a very large, very old filling.

I'd always "felt" the tooth, after the root canal. Sometimes it would ache after eating or crunch a piece of ice. I could also feel a pain sensation when I pushed the tooth with my tongue.

So, during a routine cleaning on Tuesday, I told the doc about it, and they took another x-ray. When compared to the x-ray of the tooth taken immediately following the x-ray, there was a very visible difference at the bottom of one of the roots. A dark spot where the nerve had begun dying initially had grown since the root canal. So, he suggested another root canal, which he began today.

Holy fucking shit, this hurts. And, since I'm in the Army, the only thing I have is Motrin and whisky. Started about 20 minutes ago, and I'm ready to start drinking. I don't think I've ever experienced mouth pain like this.

WTFF?!!

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Army won't let a dentist or physician write a pain med prescription that'd be routine for a civilian?

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Jesus, man, that sounds awful.
    :: Insert obligatory Chef DIY comment here ::
    Good luck!

Chef2 likes this.
  4. three_bags_full

I'm sure he would've written it if I'd asked, but I honestly didn't think it would be this bad. I thought it'd be uncomfortable and 800MG of Vitamin M would take care of it.

5. three_bags_full

It's just a long-running Army joke that motrin and water cure everything, I guess.

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Probably too late now, but if you could call the office they'd probably send the script somewhere for you to get it filled.

7. three_bags_full

I thought about going to the ER. Two glasses of whisky have helped a bit.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Pussy!!! :) Hope you feel better!

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ordinarily, this would be where I would advise tbf to sack it up, quit being a pussy, fire back some Jack Daniels, get a pair of pliers, and rid yourself of the tooth..........in this case, where it's the bottom of the root, he can't do that........he has to get another root canal....no other option......

I actually side myself with going to seek medical help in this scenario. Frightening, I know.......

I was actually hoping this was a Reacher horror story about his vasectomy........

JackReacher likes this.
  10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I second Chef's Reacher sack fears - that's exactly what I thought from the thread title.

JackReacher likes this.
  11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

OK TBF I just had my first RC about a week ago...my symptoms were identical to yours. Turns out my tooth was cracked, so they did a RC and will put a crown on it soon. You might want to make sure your tooth is not cracked, which is a different problem than the nerve issue (but presents itself similarly).

Here's the OTC pain med cocktail my doc put me on ... and it really works.

Start with 600 mg (3 pills) of Advil (or Motrin in your case).

Four hours later take 400 mg Tylenol.

Two hours later another 600 mg Advil.

Rinse, wash, repeat.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Whiskey and Vicodin is a better option. Get a scrip.
    (But heed my previous warning about Vic and constipation.)

Draft saved Draft deleted