1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survivor: Kaoh Rong

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 25, 2016.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen a thread on this season yet, so thought I'd start it. It's OK so far, nothing mind-blowing, but tribal last night was pretty good in terms of watching someone totally flame out.

Scot Pollard has been very likable and enjoyable to watch so far. He's probably gotten the most screen time. Tai and Caleb's friendship has been funny to watch, and Caleb looks like a legit threat. The Big Brother history may ultimately hold him back, but he seems like a decent player.

No real strong thoughts yet on anyone, which doesn't bode well for a great season, but I'm still enjoying it thus far.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What made last season so good - the lack of no-hopers and goofballs, makes this season tough to watch. I'd guess maybe four people have a shot, but I'd guess the ice cream guy will win it at this point.

3. bigpern23

Yeah, agree on the first sentence. Also, there don't seem to be many strategists in this group (at least so far). I don't think anyone would give a former NBA player the $1 million, so I don't think Pollard has a chance, but so far he's been arguably the best player.

Looking at the cast list, not a single player jumps out to me as a potential winner. Last year, I think I had four people in mind who I thought could win after the first two episodes.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Too early to tell who the great strategic players are. With the same tribe losing twice, we haven't seen the other ones have to scramble.

I have to imagine crazy cat lady Debbie is first to go from brains, because she annoys everyone.

5. bigpern23

She might make final three just because someone is likely to want to sit next to her at final tribal. I don't think that will happen, but I'd bet she makes the merge.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

She's clearly a nut, and more than a little full of sh#t.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a player sabotage herself the way that woman did.
    Just out of the blue, at least the way the edited. Very strange.
    And she just kept making it worse and acting stranger.

As crazy as she got, she could've helped them win a challenge, and the guy last week could've helped them.
    He had some size. She seemed strong and physically capable.
    The blonde girl brings nothing to the team.
    They just need to win a challenge.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Last season to this season is apples to oranges just because they were all second-time players, thus ready to play at a much higher level from Day 1.

As for Jenny getting the boot last episode, yeah, that was a hilariously bad tribal council performance. It was funny because I was thinking to myself, "Things haven't gone really south until she has made the full turn from totally safe to begging for 'another chance.'" It was just a matter of time.

She claimed a day later in her exit interviews that her vote out was already a done deal when tribal started, that her mistakes were from earlier in the day, but I don't totally believe her.

8. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Kaoh Rong? Was the pilot who flew the contestants and staff in Wi Tu Lo?

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Some thoughts: Julia has a great rack. Liz has a better rack. Debbie is bat-shit crazy and won't last long. Jason has to be one of the dumbest human beings anywhere to have a severe sunburn and then still walk around with no shirt on. Who the hell let the old guy be in charge of the kerosene?

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The premiere allowed me to enjoy one of the my fave things about this show: the desperate rush to make alliances with people you met five minutes ago.

11. bigpern23

This week's episode was pretty dull. And it was frustrating that, without a reward challenge, they spent 45 minutes showing a lot of strategizing and such, only for it all to become meaningless when Neal got pulled off the island. Goes to show good tribal council has been for the past few seasons that the show really suffered without it.

Things are getting tight now, with Neal becoming the first member of the jury, and I still don't have a clear guess of who will win.

Possible winners:
    Cydney - strong, athletic and smart enough to contend for individual immunity, has a strong alliance, hasn't pissed anyone off.
    Michele - Much smarter than partner Nick. He's been going on and on about getting rid of Brawn, but she was smart enough to talk him into keeping around the rich NBA player and unlikable bounty hunter. Ultimately, Neal's medical situation forced their hand, but it showed she's got a good handle on strategy of the game.

Unlikely, but possible:
    Tai - Good alliance with Scot, has an idol, super likable, great around camp. Downside is, he's sooooooo likable, I think other players will realize they'd be stupid to take him to final tribal because if he gets that far, he's going to win.
    Debbie - She's super annoying and completely off her rocker, which might make other players decide to take her along. She's actively playing the game, and may be able to build a resume of big moves she can take credit for. Downside is she's way overconfident and doesn't pick up on social cues as well as she thinks she does.
    Nick - Also actively playing and could build a resume. Seems good in challenges and is always a threat for immunity. Downside is he's also pretty arrogant and looks primed to be blindsided (probably by Michele).
    Julia - She's cute, likable and hasn't annoyed anyone. Downside is, she hasn't done much of anything, doesn't seem to be a threat in challenges and is generally a non-entity.

Not much of a chance:
    Scot - He's playing a pretty good game (though he might have slipped up by telling Nick about Tai and Jason's idols), he's a physical threat, has a strong alliance. If he makes the final, I think he'd probably be deserving. However, I don't see the jury giving $1M to a millionaire professional athlete.
    Jason - He's got an idol and he's unlikable enough to make final tribal, however, juries don't usually give the money to the unlikable player (Tony over Woo being a notable recent exception). Jason will have to build a resume of moves that were HIS, not his, Scot and Cydney's if he's going to win.
    Aubry - Such a wet blanket. Seems like the obvious next target.
    Joe - Not enough finesse. He'll never pull of a big move that he orchestrates. His confrontation with Peter showed he's not savvy enough to outwit the group. If he thought Peter was coming after him, he'd have been better served orchestrating a blind side, rather than confronting Peter about it.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I saw an interview with Pollard and he really pushed that he was doing Survivor because he needed the money, said divorce and kids had used up his cash.

He came across as fairly unlikable which I found odd because I remember him doing his Harry Caray impression on an NBA broadcast and he seemed to have a bit of charm/charisma. That being said his Harry Caray impression was the same on we were all doing which was impersonating Will Ferrel on SNL.

Draft saved Draft deleted