1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tony Phillips

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I once played an entire Little League season using Tony Phillips' batting stance. I loved it so much.

Worked much better than that season I tried to bat like Mickey Tettleton.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This sentence jumped out:

He got on base more times (3,384) than 75 different Hall of Fame hitters, including big names like Joe DiMaggio, Willie Stargell, Duke Snider, Jim Rice, Orlando Cepeda, and Johnny Bench.

That he stuck around for 18 seasons is another good demonstration of his value.

RIP

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Very good player. RIp

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Isn't he the drug user who was found in a seedy Anaheim motel one year, and helped derail an Angels playoff push?

6. Steak Snabler

Yes. They suspended him after he refused to go to rehab.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

He said, "no, no, no?"

heyabbott likes this.
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Didn't realize he had played for the A's so long. I always thought of him as a Tiger. Never an All-Star? I always thought he was an elite player.

9. Steak Snabler

Guys who walked a ton but didn't hit for high average were regarded as aliens in those days. He also never stole a ton of bases.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I always thought getting a walk or was sometimes worth more than a hit if you are frustrating or wearing down the picther.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Yes, in 1997. I don't know if they would have overcome the Mariners that year for the division title even if that hadn't happened, but it sure didn't help.

It was a shame, though. He was a really good player for the Angels in his two stints in Anaheim.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Three standout A's from the '89 World Series champs all dying early in the last couple of years (Welch, Hendu and now Philips). Phillips was always one of my favorite players.

Draft saved Draft deleted