1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2016

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 18, 2016.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Time to gear up for another season.

Already submitted keepers in my dynasty league, and now figuring out my keeper league.

Roster currently looks like this (round drafted in parentheses). We keep five, with players getting drafted two slots ahead of where they were taken last year. I think I'm definitely keeping the guys who are bolded, but still not sure who to put in the last slot.
    (1) Andrew McCutchen Pit - OF
    (3) Nolan Arenado Col - 3B
    (5) Nelson Cruz Sea - OF
    (3) Adrián González LAD - 1B
    (5) Carlos Gómez Hou - OF
    (2) Jacoby Ellsbury NYY - OF
    (3) Albert Pujols LAA - 1B
    (4) Hanley Ramírez Bos - OF
    (24) Jorge Soler ChC - OF
    (UFA) Maikel Franco Phi - 3B
    (11) Brian McCann NYY - C,1B
    (5) Dustin Pedroia Bos - 2B
    (22) Addison Russell ChC - 2B,SS
    (UFA) Michael Conforto NYM - OF

(UFA) Joey Gallo Tex - 3B,OF
    (UFA) Greg Bird NYY - 1B
    (UFA) Aaron Judge NYY - OF
    (2) Madison Bumgarner SF - SP
    (1) Félix Hernández Sea - SP
    (3) Jon Lester ChC - SP
    (10) Kenley Jansen LAD - RP
    (UFA) Lance McCullers Hou - SP
    (UFA) Luis Severino NYY - SP
    (UFA) Ryan Madson Oak - RP
    (17) Addison Reed NYM - RP
    (UFA) Zack Wheeler NYM - SP
    (UFA) Lucas Giolito Was - SP

Some of you may remember that I was hoping to exploit a loophole by picking up a few free agents such as Bumgarner and Ramirez in the hopes they'd count as 25th-round picks, but someone else brought up draft positions and it looks like if a players was drafted the previous season, they retain that draft position, even if they were picked up from the FA pool.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Can I talk about my fantasy hockey team here?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't see the rounds with the players. We really need to see that to evaluate.

IMHO, the ruling on players who were cut is a joke. Unless the rule was in place, the guys you grabbed as free agents should count as free agents, not their draft value.

4. bigpern23

Oops, you're right. Adding rounds now ...

5. bigpern23

Looking at the list with all the rounds next to it makes things a little clearer. Guys I am considering:
    Soler
    Gallo
    McCullers

Dark horse:
    Wheeler
    Giolito
    Arenado

6. outofplace

I'd be tempted to keep Arenado because a slugger like that can be such an anchor, but not if you are keeping Franco. With only five keepers, I'd avoid keeping two at one position.

Assuming you are set on the four guys in bold, I'd go with McCullers as your fifth.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I agree. My first instinct was Arenado, but McCullers is a really good choice too.

8. outofplace

If he didn't already have a third baseman on the list, Arenado would be the way to go, but at that price Franco is a very good option.

9. outofplace

I already turned in one keeper list, but I've got time on my other league. It is a 12-team, head-to-head league with daily lineup changes. We get to keep eight players at the cost of their auction or waiver price tag from last year. The price tag for each player is subtracted from our $260 going into this year's auction.

I'm pretty well set with these six:
    Dallas Kuechel $4
    Eric Hosmer $8
    Corey Kluber $23
    Jason Kipnis $11
    Kyle Seager $15
    Adrian Gonzalez $25

My options for the remaining spots are:
    Michael Brantley $10
    Shin-Soo Choo $6
    Marco Estrada $1
    Glen Perkins $11
    David Peralta $1

I would have Brantley among the locks if he was healthy and he did just start hitting yesterday, but he won't be ready opening day and even the optimistic projections have him out until May.

Thoughts?

10. bigpern23

The more I'm thinking about it, the more I lean toward McCullers over Arenado. There's a decent chance Arenado will still be available at No. 11 for my first pick anyway, and if he isn't, there's plenty of talent to choose from in that round. CBSSports.com is projecting Arenado to be the 10th-best hitter (and there are bound to be a couple of pitchers to go in the first round as well), so I could conceivably even pick up Arenado on the way back in the second round at No. 14. McCullers may be more of a "value" pick.

11. bigpern23

Peralta can probably give you Shin Soo Choo numbers for $1, so he's a pretty good value. I like Brantley best of the remaining options. For reference, Brantley and Perkins are both owned in my dynasty league for $4 and Brantley is projected to score 421 points (even while missing a month), while Perkins is projected to score 274. Plus he's younger than Perkins.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Looks like I'm going to have at least one opening in a 12-team yahoo keeper league. 30 man roster, you can keep 10. this team finished fourth. Let me know if interested.

Draft saved Draft deleted