1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons' new site

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

2. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Is that art legit? Is he really going the Special Olympics route?

4. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Y'know, I see the resemblance.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

6. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

If he is really "getting the band back together" from Grantland.com. I will definitely be checking in regularly.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Most of the hires so far are behind the scenes people, but I did see where he hired Bryan Curtis, which is pretty awesome.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Be interesting to see how much traffic they do without the benefit of being on the front page of ESPN.com. Even placed there, Grantland didn't get nearly the foot traffic you would have expected. Simmons is definitely entertaining on his podcasts, but TV is not his medium and he never looked comfortable. Admire his decision to shift gears and try new stuff, but unless he's writing a lot for the site -- and it doesn't seem like he will be -- I wonder how we're going to be drawn to the site. I hope they have a daily crossword puzzle.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Simmons has argued that they they were almost never on the front page of ESPN.com, which was part of the problem.

He talks about starting The Ringer in the first 10 minutes of his most recent podcast.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You've lost your fucking mind.

11. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Sorry ... but I enjoyed reading much of the sports-related content on Grantland. The "pop-culture stuff" was not nearly as interesting to me, but it was easy to ignore. If Bill Simmons can accrete a critical mass of the "sports-content producers" from Grantland, I will visit the site and enjoy it. Your mileage may vary...

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I wonder where creating this new site falls on the Vengeance Scale?

Draft saved Draft deleted