1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB spring training thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 17, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can't find the George Will column about how we're all filled with hope and joy.

However, Kyle Schwarber broke a windshield with a BP home run today. The ball will remain in the front seat until the end of the World Series between the Giants and the Blue Jays.

No, actually, Schwarber turned it into an endorsement deal. Smart guy!

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This time of year always reminds me of the famous Rogers Hornsby quote:

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Pointless, Giants win

qtlaw likes this.
  4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The two Mrs. Hornsbys who were married to him during his playing career must have been thrilled.

RubberSoul1979 likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's an even year, after all.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Didn't he have all winter for that?

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yankees only accepting traditional tickets or those that can be scanned off a phone. Print-at-home tickets will no longer be accepted.

That's one way to go about it.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In real life Hornsby spent the winter at the track somewhere.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, and he didn't go to movies. Said he thought it would be bad for his eyesight and affect his hitting.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And he was traded three times in three years at one stretch, which is unprecedented for a player of his caliber in that era. By all accounts, Hornsby was a miserable son of a bitch.

But he could really hit. And I like that quote.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Never make it more difficult for the customer to enter your building. All those people buying $10 tix on StubHub were spending real money in the stadium. Now, the guy who might have thought about leaving work to hit up a Wednesday night game against Mariners for $10 is going to have to pay full price at TicketMaster? He's going to stay home and watch on TV.

They say it's to prevent ticket fraud, but it's really so they can get a piece of the action by selling the same ticket twice.

Draft saved Draft deleted