1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYDN drops Manning bombshell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Pretty damning stuff. I'm wondering how nobody else has written about this court case already, and how it affects the Golden Boy's reputation.

To be honest, I'm guessing not much, unfortunately. He definitely retires, though.

KING: Peyton Manning’s squeaky-clean image was built on lies

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Written by Shaun King.

LOL.

Glass houses, etc.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Next in Shaun King's crosshairs: the Watergate hotel scandal.

4. YankeeFan

Allegations of sexual assault, cover up, and smear campaign of the victim would have rocked the American sports world to it's core.

LOL. Sure.

A former President sexually assaulted multiple women, and his wife, who helped orchestrate the cover ups and smear campaigns of his victims, is a leading candidate for President, with the support of the entire Democratic Party establishment.

But, people would have really gotten worked up over the Mannings, huh?

HanSenSE and old_tony like this.
  5. YankeeFan

Will be fun when he finds a fund raising scandal.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

SnarkShark, Stoney and Dick Whitman like this.
  7. Dick Whitman

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

When your story is based entirely on work published in USA Today 13 years ago, I don't think that qualifies as dropping a bombshell. Maybe it's just me, though.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Everyone knows that. But did you know you can save 15% in 15 minutes with Geico.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

See, and I think listing 74 pages of court documents is dropping a bombshell. That's just me, though.

11. Dick Whitman

I'm going to drop the Brown v. Board of Education bombshell today.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

couple things...

>I don't personally care for how the length and occasional breathlessness is designed to make revelatory some stuff that's been known for some time. It was unpacked in 2014, for example.

>>That said, it won't change how the usual national media Twitwits react. They'll take the length and long biography as a sign of its excellence. Whether one thinks it is or not...damn, they should take extreme caution with a piece that King reported and wrote over all of, let's see, three days. Damn, that's a short time. It's one thing to fire off a commentary raising a question or making a simple point.

The Manning piece -- and solemnity with which King is presenting it on Twitter -- indicates an investigative expose. It had better be real tight under those cirscumstances.

>>Consider this line: "Until this very day, have you ever seen a single interview with Dr. Jamie Naughright trashing Peyton Manning? Me neither."

Gee - might that be because of terms of the settlement?

The lawsuit was settled in December 2003. As part of the settlement, according to the recent motion, neither Manning nor Naughright, who is a personal trainer in Lakeland, was supposed to publicly discuss the settlement, or each other.

Either King or NYDN should have known that.

>>By highlighting this story again -- I presume with Naughright's blessing - King also opens up Naughright's other lawsuit -- a failed one against Donna Karan -- to examination. Almost invariably -- though not certainly -- some enterprising journalist will point out the circumstances of that lawsuit. They don't negate anything that might have or have not happened in the Manning case -- in part because the lawsuit occurs after the Manning events -- but I imagine someone notes it.

YankeeFan, cranberry, Lugnuts and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted