1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NASCAR 2016 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Didn't see one yet, and this seems like a good thing to start on. Lots and lots of rules changes announced this week.
    Fields will be reduced from 43 to 40, the three tries at green-white-checker are now one if it's past the halfway point of the first lap, provisional qualifying spots are gone, and there's some tweaks to the ownership structure that also affect qualifying.

Fast facts for NASCAR's 2016 procedural changes | NASCAR.com

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

This stuff makes my head hurt - too much to think about.

Anyway - Stewart's last year, right? That will be a story line all year like it was for Gordon.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Well, not at the beginning of the year ... and how is it that Vickers is replacing him? Is he not still on the blood thinners for the clot problems that forced him to step away in the first place?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He was cleared to compete. If I read the story right, it's something he goes off and on. So I guess right now he's off.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I just read an update that they are managing it so he can race. Seems like it'd still be pretty dangerous, though. Although I know nada about such conditions.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The race formerly known as the Busch Clash is, well, what NASCAR has become, but Jeff Gordon is doing well in the booth.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for Tony Stewart's latest injury. Guy can't buy a break.
    Just when I thought Brain France and Co. couldn't mess things up more, they go and introduce the 20 minute mandatory caution clock in the truck series. WTF?

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Mandatory caution clock?

The franchise thing blows. Sure did CART a lot of good.

I barely pay attention anymore. Part of that is my schedule, part of it is because I don't like what NASCAR has become.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Curt Cavin had a good piece in the IndyStar asking where the outrage was over this charter system as there was for the old IRL 25/8 system for the Indy 500.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The quality of NASCAR in 2016 is far superior to that of the IRL in 1996. You're also not ostensibly kicking out the top teams in the sport, as Mr. George did.

I do wonder if this may be another step in the road to a NASCAR competitor. Only problem would be, on what tracks would this series run? "Yes, Bruton, we heard about that other series you're playing host to in Las Vegas. Well, we're canceling dates at three of your tracks next year." OK, so it wouldn't be that blatant, but ...

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

12. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

In a truck series race, if there's no yellow flag for 20 minutes, automatic yellow. New rule for this year and it's one of the dumbest rules I've ever heard of. It's one thing to have mandatory yellows if it rained all weekend so teams can make adjustments or something along those lines, but no more than 20 minutes of green flag racing at all? What a crock. Thank goodness I don't watch that crap anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted