1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CDC: Sexually-active women shouldn't drink alcohol if not on birth control

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Feb 10, 2016.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Didn't see anything on here yet, but this is about a week old.

Alcohol and Pregnancy

Seems like pretty sound advice to me. The responsible thing to do, if you're having unprotected sex, is to either get on birth control or stop drinking, so you don't inflict a potential child with fetal alcohol syndrome.

Not so fast, CDC. The internet shits on your recommendations.

http://jezebel.com/an-unrealistic-w..._source=jezebel_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

You heard them: fuck your bodily reactions, your desires, your circumstances; forget that the real problem is abortion access and the fact that birth control occasionally fails. Women, your body is a ticking time bomb in which the bomb is a fetus, so get on birth control or stop drinking—that’s the way it’s going to be!

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why would people have sex if they don't want to get pregnant? /GOP

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

How could girls be sexually active if they don't drink? /Frat Bro

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to start a shit storm with this. I'm really not. I generally think of myself as agnostic when it comes to abortion. It's not an appealing option to me, but I recognize that sometimes it is the best one. If you can live with the consequences of the decision, fine, but I don't really care one way or the other if it doesn't affect me. It's a very personal decision everyone has to make for themselves if the situation arises.

But how sad is it that there are people in this world who can not only write that sentence, but do it with an air of indignance? The author makes it sound like getting an abortion is no different than going to the doctor to get treated for a cold, and the fact that she can't get one a month on demand is hindering her lifestyle. That's a level of callousness that is hard to fathom.

Brian and SnarkShark like this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am very pro-abortion, but you are not wrong about this, at all. Very well put.

Batman likes this.
  8. SnarkShark

That's not what this is about.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It's the same mentality. Women reduced to baby incubators.

10. Dick Whitman

The Jezebel columnist, if you do a close read, doesn't consider the possibility that a woman might want to keep her baby, even an "accident."

11. SnarkShark

It's a recommendation, based on scientific findings, to prevent women who may not know they are pregnant from inflicting their child with a severely disabling disease.

Drink all you want if you're on birth control. Then you almost surely (I know, it happens sometimes) won't be a baby incubator.

12. Dick Whitman

They aren't being reduced to baby incubators. They simply are potential baby incubators if they aren't on birth control. It's indisputable. It's not all they are. But it's part of what they are, and that part is relevant to the advice being tendered.

Draft saved Draft deleted