1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two MVPs, One School

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cyclingwriter2, Feb 7, 2016.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Some of my Auburn facebook associates are sharing that Auburn is the first school to have dual MVPs in two different sports in one season this year: Cam Newton and Josh Donaldson. They somehow forgot that their own school did the same thing back in 1993 with Frank Thomas and Charles Barkley in 1993.

That being said, what other colleges can make this claim? I think Michigan State in 1988 with Magic Johnson and Kirk Gibson....any others? Sooner the better, so I can make more fun of Auburn fans.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Jordan was MVP in 1988.

Magic was MVP in 1989.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It does seem like it is pretty rare. I thought maybe Jordan and Lawrence Taylor, but it wasn't the same year.

4. Steak Snabler

And the fact that not that many baseball stars played in college (along with an entire decade's worth of NBA stars), makes it rarer still.

5. Steak Snabler

Cincinnati's Oscar Robertson (1964 NBA) and Sandy Koufax (1963 NL) missed it by a year.

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I see Magic as the 88-89 season....Wikipedia calls that the 1989 season...i assumed that would have meant 1988..look like no

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Barkley was the MVP for 1992-93, so he was the reigning MVP during Thomas' season, but when Thomas was named MVP the 93-94 season had started so it really comes down to which NBA season do you count for 1993 because you can't count them both. IMO, the 1993-94 NBA season is the 1993 MLB season because they start in the same year.
    The fact I took more than 10 seconds to think about this rationally is because my 1 5/6th year old is playing a game of chicken with me by refusing to eat her blueberries and betting I'm gonna get her out of that seat before she's done. Little does she know daddy can engage in internet stupidity for hours and think about stuff like which year Charles Barkley's MVP season counts for.

old_tony, Big Circus, Batman and 2 others like this.
  8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The year is when the regular season ends, except for the NFL when it ends up playing on the first weekend of January.

9. Steak Snabler

This, so Barkley/Thomas would count, but not Johnson/Gibson or Koufax/Robertson.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sparty did have the reigning MVP at the same time though, from June to October 1989.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

You can't have an exception. Should be in what year the season started, or was scheduled to start (if league was supposed to start in October, locked out til January). Makes more sense, no?

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Baseball season is completed in one calendar year, and the NFL regular season is completed before year's end. Since NFL MVP is for the regular season, it counts for the year in which the regular season begins (and ends). NBA and NHL seasons play more than half their games in the year in which the season ends, so the 2015-16 season would count for 2016.

Draft saved Draft deleted