1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Zbikowski avoids Johnny Manziel's potential fate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 5, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I suppose we've all fallen for these, "he's turned his life around" stories, but this one seems like it's going to have a good ending.

Many will remember Zbikowski as a defensive back and kick returner at Notre Dame, who served as a co-captain, and later had a decent NFL career.

But, he was also an alcoholic, and in a a downward spiral as his pro career ended.

It's a pretty good story, and I suppose that when I post the URL, the end of the story will be given away, but it's still worth reading/watching:

Notre Dame great Tom Zbikowski ascends from addiction to redemption

Countdown to Kickoff: Tom Zbikowski

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Good for him, but I'm always leery about these kinds of stories. Given the relapse rate, I'd wait more than 18 months to declare he's beaten his addiction.

Sort of like when we hear [person X] "is now cancer-free." It comes back a large percentage of the time.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

SportsCenter did a story on him a while back, maybe over the summer, and it's a good story. Through several people in my life, I've seen how difficult alcoholism is to deal with and what it can do to someone, so I'm glad to see him turn things around. Hopefully, he stays sober forever.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wasn't he also a boxer, and didn't he also get paid $50k right before his senior year to fight some tomato can in Chicago? Nice way for a booster to funnel a star FB player some extra benefits.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

All of it donated to charity.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yep, he was moonlighting as a pro boxer concurrent with his football career for awhile there. This guy's lifestyle profile--hard hitting strong safety, pro boxer, hardcore alcoholic--is like the ultimate "how to" profile on attaining future brain damage.

But I'll say I had plenty respect for him as a player. I remember him at Notre Dame and with the Ravens pretty well. Can't play any harder that that guy did. His brain might be fucked, but nobody can ever say he lacked heart or guts.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I remember ESPN followed him and Chris Leak around their final year of high school. 2000 I think. The weekly articles were an interesting look into the recruiting process.

8. Dick Whitman

He was definitely scrappy and heady. Jeff Samardzija, too. They both lacked the athletic prowess of, say, a Golden Tate or a Michael Floyd. But they made up for it with their scrappiness and their headiness.

9. YankeeFan

LOL

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

OK, I obviously see what you're trying to do here. But I never said he was a gym rat or gritty, so just STFU. I'm in the clear.

11. YankeeFan

Would have been 2003.

My wife graduated high school with him. Unsurprisingly, she says he was popular, but she thought he was an ass.

I only learned of this story because he's now a rookie firefighter at the same house as the guy who works for me. My guy likes him. Says some top brass are up his ass because of his fame, but that he's a regular guy around the firehouse. Keeps his head down and does all the rookie stuff you have to do. My guy's got a son who's in high school, and is a prospect for a college scholarship in baseball. Says Zbikowski talks to him about the recruiting process.

12. Dick Whitman

Zbikowski's a good guy. There's lots of guys who were I thought were asses in high school - I'm sure there are people who would have said that about me - who I'm happy to knock back a beer or a shot with these days (on my way to an 8 on the drinking assessment test) [/crossthread].

Draft saved Draft deleted