1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL blocks Super Bowl I tape

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Just pay the fucking guy already! A million dollars for one of the most valuable recordings in sports history? It's a no-brainer. Fuck the NFL.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Why is worth a million dollars? The guy's nuts. He should have taken the $30K. It's not even a complete recording.

Would you watch it? I might watch a few clips. But the whole thing? No. Never. Seriously, why is this "recording" worth a million dollars?

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Because fuck the NFL.

heyabbott likes this.
  5. You sir, should be a courtroom lawyer.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

My life won't be affected one bit by the inability to see this game in its entirety. The holy grail of missing tapes? I think they're overestimating how much people really care to see this. Sure, it's the first SB and it's unique, but it's not like having the only copy of Michael Jackson first doing the moonwalk. Besides, his pops apparently did a shoddy job and hit pause during commercials (which I think would in some ways be as interesting to see as the game), didn't tape halftime, and missed a large part of the third quarter. I don't know what a fair offer is, but $1 million seems ridiculously high for a half-assed tape job, and $30K also seems ridiculously low. They should split the difference in some way -- maybe free tickets to NFL games for life? -- and move on.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If I were the NFL I might pay a couple hundred thou for a complete and flawless copy, but it's not.

I would guess the NFL probably doesn't want to establish the precedent of paying big bucks for imperfect copies for fear that somewhere out in the big wide world there were some people who really did make perfect and pristine copies, and then they'll want REAL big money.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It is the only known copy. Flawed or not, it is an interesting historical document. A million dollars worth of interesting? That's another discussion altogether.

[​IMG]

9. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

[​IMG]
    The NFL's legal team has spoken:

"Since you have already indicated that your client is exploring opportunities for exploitation of the N.F.L.’s Super Bowl I copyrighted footage with yet-unidentified third parties...please be aware that any resulting copyright infringement will be considered intentional, subjecting your client and those parties to injunctive relief and special damages, among other remedies."

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What's wrong with that?

11. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Typical NFL response: "You don't want the $30-grand we offered you? You get nothing. And fuck you."

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah they should just hand him $1 million because that's how much he wants.

Draft saved Draft deleted