1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chef reviews Nashville Hot "Chicken"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

So..........being where I am, there is a shortage of "decent" fried chicken.......as in if you don't like KFC, you are shit out of luck.

Being one that enjoys spicy food, and enjoys fried chicken as well, I thought I'd give the Nashville Hot Chicken a try from KFC.

I like hot and spicy food, as long as it has good flavor....it must have good flavor........seeing these fools at BWW try the blazing challenge.......nyet.....no.......that is hot just to be hot......even if that sauce has good flavor, it is so hot, you wouldn't be able to "taste" it.

Anyway.....

So, I tell the nice lady with the earrings in her cheek, chin, and several tats on her hand of dice, that I would like the Nashville Hot chicken tenders.........she proceeds to pluck 3 (what appear to be) tenders out of a warmer, plop them on a Styrofoam plate, put a dollop of cole slaw on the side, and something that resembled a biscuit on as well......nice lady then goes and gets a jug of sauce, and goes about drowning my chicken tenders in this liquid lava. Oh......and she put 2 pickles on top.

I take a bite of this chicken.........and it's void of any flavor at all. The only flavor I received was from the chicken, and there was so much sauce on, it's overpowering the chicken.........it would have been better if I wouldn't have ordered chicken.......just drowned a Styrofoam plate in red hot liquid magma, and ate the plate whole.

I finish the entrée, and about 2 hours later, something unholy decided to leave my body. I knew it was bad, but the dead giveaway was the Hazmat crew that decided to show up in full mask. That happened again another 2 hours later, and overnight, I had the farts so bad, if someone would have lit a cigarette within 50 yards of me, there would have been another Hiroshima.

I give it 2 toes out of 5.

spikechiquet likes this.
  2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Ask about our Chef's Surprise."

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wait? So KFC's Nashville Hot Chicken -- made out of chicken tenders! -- is not as good as the real stuff?

What a shock.

(PS: What do the earrings and tats have to do with anything? You think she came up with this idea?)

((PPS: ... You can't have an earing in your cheek and chin. Those would be cheek or chin rings.))

(((PPPS: ... KFC has styrofoam plates?)))

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I tried it last night, too, weirdly enough. It was better than I thought it'd be, but I doubt I'd go back for seconds. Within an hour, it was begging to leave my body.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I had it a couple of weeks ago. It was alright.
    I love very spicy food. Blazing hot is right up my alley.
    It was spicier than I thought it would, which was cool. Most foods, especially fastfood, advertised as spicy is really not spicy, which I understand. Gotta please the largest possible market.

It was OK. I'd order it again if they keep it around.
    The caveats:
    • I live in Central California. There's is not a lot of fried chicken easily available around here.
    • I like KFC, but I seldom go there because it's always a very long wait at the place on my way home.
    • I've never been to Memphis, or anywhere in Tennessee, so I have no reference to the real thing.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Point of order, Buck...hot chicken is a Nashville creation.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you ever have the chance to eat real hot chicken in Nashville, I recommend not going above "medium" on your first try, and that's if you're comfortable with spicy foods.

Neutral Corner and OscarMadison like this.
  8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'll be in Nashville next month, and I plan on trying it for sure. I'm assuming you can find it everywhere. Who has the best? If it helps narrow it down, I'm staying in the West End/Vandy area.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Noted, BC. My bad, I'm not sure how I made that mistake.

Dixie, when dining at a place for the first time, I often will order something a little lower on the scale, but invariably it does not meet my spice preference.
    I like stuff really hot.

I have to admit, though, that in my old age I don't indulge in seriously spicy food as often as I did as a young man. My insides do not accommodate the serious spice as well as they once did.
    There are grave and prolonged consequences and repercussion now when I indulge in such dining.

But I can't resist. I still do every once in a while.

The KFC hot chicken does not rise close to that level, however.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Best bet in that neighborhood is Hattie B's on 19th Ave. I enjoy it, but I've also heard it referred to as the gentrified, "white people" establishment.

Hattie B's Hot Chicken - Nashville, TN Hot Chicken Restaurant

First place I ever ate it was Bolton's in East Nashville, which isn't too far a drive. Less convenient, but I liked theirs a little better. Need to go back.

Bolton's Spicy Chicken & Fish | Nashville, TN 37204

Haven't been to Prince's, which keeps weird hours and is way up by TSU, but it is the original.

Prince’s Hot Chicken Shack - Nashville, TN

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Don't know jack about hot chicken, other than it must be brined and moist, but if you're near Vandy, go to brunch/breakfast at Bosco's.

Draft saved Draft deleted