1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uber's New Logo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 3, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is terrible:

[​IMG]

2. YankeeFan

Oh, well now it makes sense:

Here's the paraphrased explanation from an Uber spokesperson: "At the very center of the app is the bit, which is supposed to summarize the technology. And the rest is the shape that denotes the product."

So in the app that customers see (below, left), there is a single line representing the passenger's journey in the Uber car.

Uber changed its logo to something pretty weird

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was about Uber coming out and loving it.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Does the single line end in a shallow grave dug by the driver, who might be a serial killer known as the "Uber Undertaker?"

SpeedTchr likes this.
  5. YankeeFan

But Uber’s rebrand suggests arrogance and inconsistency — signals, albeit faint ones, that potential potholes may lie ahead.

The arrogance comes in the rebrand presentation — itself an expensive-looking exercise — in which Uber first takes grandiose ownership of the whole world by harnessing its bits and atoms. (“The atom is responsible for everything from the BLT, to moms everywhere, to New York City,” intones the narrator on its new video, with the obvious implication that Uber is taking care of those beloved items too.)

The inconsistency is found by comparing Mr Kalanick’s blogpost from 2011 when he introduced the ubiquitous (but now apparently used-up) U logo, hailing its black-and-whiteness for its “approachability”. This is exactly the quality that he now finds lacking. “The old Uber was black and white, somewhat distant and cold,” he writes to justify the new look. “This belied what Uber actually is — a transportation network, woven into the fabric of cities and how they move. To bring out this human side — the atoms — we’ve added color and patterns.”

Uber employees have spent “months researching” the new country styles, and they are now going to give individual cities the same treatment. Presumably within a couple of years, Mr Kalanick will decide these makeovers need to be made over. The potential, in other words, for expensive and time-consuming re-rebranding — right down to the last Uber bit and atom — is huge.

Uber’s rebrand suggests arrogance and inconsistency - FT.com

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

An innovative and wildly successful company should always take marketing advice from newspaper columnists. And never change anything. Those are definitely two mantras that have gotten the news industry far.

heyabbott likes this.
  7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

"Uber should buy its own cars, paint them yellow and hire the drivers full time."

8. YankeeFan

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I still don't get the whole "Uber" thing.
    There are licensed cabs.
    Why would I use some dipshit who may murder me or drop me in a deep pit full of rottweilers?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You save a large amount of money and ride in a nicer car that's much more convenient at pick-up. It's a good deal if you make it out alive.

11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Where is your sense of adventure?

Dick Whitman and SpeedTchr like this.
  12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

The only cabs I have ever really used are London cabs, and those are quite nice and very roomy.

Draft saved Draft deleted