1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Paul Kantner, co-founder of Jefferson Airplane

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by I Should Coco, Jan 29, 2016.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Paul Kantner died Thursday, and the world will be a duller, more vanilla place in his absence.

He co-founded the legendary San Francisco band Jefferson Airplane with Marty Balin in 1965; eventually ended up with the group's female lead singer, Grace Slick; formed Jefferson Starship with Slick and enjoyed mainstream success in the 1970s; and finally bailed out when Mickey Thomas seized control in the mid-1980s.

Jefferson Airplane’s Paul Kantner dies at 74

RIP to a true original. Not the most talented singer or guitarist in the Airplane, but the best songwriter and conscience of the group. He was the co-writer of one of my all-time favorite 1960s songs, "Wooden Ships," along with rock anthems "We Can Be Together," "Volunteers," "Ride the Tiger" and every wacky song on the late 1970s and early 1980s Jefferson Starship albums.

"We must begin here and now
    A new continent of earth and fire
    Tear down the walls
    Come on now gettin higher and higher
    Tear down the walls
    Tear down the walls
    Won't you try?"

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This is still ALWAYS going to be the one. Devastation to the bone.

(And Grace was really fucking cute)

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Fuck you, we do what we want.

The Rolling Stone obit should be interesting.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One of the truly great bands of the era, an incredible act live. RIP.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Worst month ever for music. RIP.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Also the father of MTV VJ China Slick Kantner.

7. I Should Coco

We discussed this after deadline last night ... the 1960s and 70s rock stars who didn't die from drug overdoses, motorcycle crashes or riding in a car with Grace Slick are now IN their 60s and 70s, and dying from cancer, heart disease, etc.

Keith Richards keeps cruising right along, though.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It seems like January is a big month for celebrity deaths every year. People who are dying and their families do everything they can to hold on through the holidays.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Who died in a car crash with Grace Skick?

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If the past few weeks didn't make you contemplate your mortality, you never listened to the radio in decades past.

11. I Should Coco

Just joking ... she was a notorious drunk who had several car crashes over the years. To her credit, I believe she's sobered up since leaving the rock 'n' roll biz.

Kantner himself survived a motorcycle crash and brain aneurism.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They offered the musicians the usual box car full of fifties to have a Jefferson Airplane reunion tour about 10 years ago. Slick's response, "nothing's more pathetic than watching a bunch of old farts on stage trying to rock and roll." I don't think that's always right, but there's something to be said for her stance.

Draft saved Draft deleted