1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Women's basketball players need to get their butt in the gym."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 28, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wisconsin Women's Basketball Coach Goes on Rant

Wisconsin women's basketball coach Bobbie Kelsey:

"If people think they're going to get it on the pillowcase, it's not going to happen. You can't nap your way to being a great shooter, and Facebooking and all these things teenagers do. You need to put the phones down, stop FaceTimeing, stop tweeting, and get your butt in the gym. ...

"Women's basketball, can you hear me? Get your butt in the gym. You got people throwing the ball over the basket. Nobody wants to watch that. I don't. I enjoy watching good, solid basketball that people make their shots, whether I'm coaching against them or my team's doing it. Women's basketball players need to get their butt in the gym and get shots up."

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

He wouldn't say that if he were a she. ... Oh, wait.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"You only cover us when we get our butts in the gym!"

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

CLEVELAND -- Following Tyronn Lue's first game as Cleveland Cavaliers head coach, a 96-83 loss to the Chicago Bulls, Lue held true to his promise to hold his players accountable, telling reporters the Cavs are not well conditioned enough to play up-tempo basketball.

"I don't think we're in good enough shape," Lue said. "I think early, we wanted to push it, we wanted to open the floor, and I think we came out and did that, and then I think we just dropped off the map. I think we got tired."

Lue noted that his players, including LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love, "wanted to come out early." Not only did having his players ask for early substitutions throw off Lue's planned rotation patterns, the Cavs' collective conditioning led to poor results on the offensive end when they sped up the game.

Cleveland shot just 35-for-94 as a team (37.2 percent) and an even more anemic 4-for-24 from 3 (16.7 percent).

"I just don't think we're in good enough shape right now to play in the style that we want to play," he said.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

"The Huskers were led in the 75-62 victory over the Badgers by Natalie Romeo who tied a school record with eight three pointers."

Solid sentence structure there.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

My problem with women's hoops are the ridiculous amount of turnovers, even at the highest levels. Anyone can not travel or not double dribble or not throw the ball away.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Is she wrong?

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I tried to play the video on my phone, but it just kept buffering. Guess I should be in the gym instead.

SpeedTchr and Twirling Time like this.
  9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Has she given the other body parts permission to go also?

expendable and justgladtobehere like this.
  10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Nobody is going to mention the use of the possessive?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yep. She says, "Ten minutes a day in the gym, that's all it will take."

Uh, no. Try an HOUR more in the gym every day, and you'll see some real improvement. Ten minutes a day, you might raise your shooting percentage from 36 to 38. Make it an hour and you may get up to 44%.

But you could spend 12 hours a day and you aren't getting it much higher. Women's body size and proportional strength etc etc etc etc, are what they are. The biggest best most powerful women's team in the world -- let's say the Olympic gold-medal team -- is always going to look small, slow and scrawny next to a .500 men's team from NCAA Division II. Just like the greatest, top-ranked all-star boys' prep basketball team in the nation would look like shit on the same court as the Philadelphia 76ers.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Nobody is asking players to become the 1996 Bulls. They're fundamentally deficient, they suck at it, and need to work on their skills a lot more. That's not too much to ask at any level, whether peewee ball or a college player on scholarship.

Draft saved Draft deleted