1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Seinfeld trolling advice columns?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 25, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

(Second letter, not the one in the headline)

Ask Amy: High-schooler feels harassed by former friend

Dear Amy: I recently ran into a famous local sports figure at my gym.

I didn’t want to bother him but much to my surprise he approached me. Turns out he knew me from my profession. He asked if I wanted to go out for coffee and we exchanged numbers. A few days later we had coffee and I thought it was pretty cool that he considered us friends.

Then everything changed. He told me he was interested in taking out a woman we ran into. She is my ex-girlfriend and we’ve remained good friends.

He asked me a couple of times if I wouldn’t mind if he asked her out. I reluctantly said no. I made plans with him, and then after talking to my ex I found out that he ditched our plans to go out with her.

The next day he called me and asked if I could help him move some furniture.

I barely know the guy, next thing he will be asking me to drive him to the airport. Two friends of mine warned me not to trust this guy. What’s the deal — am I being too rash or should I dump the guy as a friend? — Feeling Foolish

Dear Foolish: The good news here is that you won’t have to dump the guy as a friend because he is not a friend. He’s an opportunist who just keeps asking you for stuff. I suspect that when you turn down his generous offer to let you move furniture for him, you’ll likely never hear from him again.

murphyc and SpeedTchr like this.
  2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Unavailable for comment:

[​IMG]

murphyc likes this.
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's awesome.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Love this.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Nice game, pretty boy!

murphyc likes this.
  6. LongTimeListener

Amy owns it.

“Every once in awhile, I get punked by a villainous, fun-loving reader,” Dickinson wrote on her site Monday. She added: “Honestly, I can’t believe I missed this one, because I have absorbed enough Seinfeld episodes to power a parallel universe of columns based only on Seinfeld plotlines.”

I don't understand how you can have encyclopedic knowledge of Seinfeld and not get that one, but OK.

Songbird and schiezainc like this.
  7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I DESPISE Keith Hernandez.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

My guess is she writes these things begrudgingly and tries to put as little thought into is as actually possible to just get through it and do what she actually likes to do in life.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's funny and she handled it just the way she should've by acknowledging it in a spirit of fun.

But she is a nationally syndicated advice columnist. Why would she try to get through it with as little thought as possible?

10. LongTimeListener

schieza, you of all people need to give Amy a chance. She also had this this week -- it sounds like it comes from a few movies we've all seen:

Married woman fantasizes about woman she sees at gym

Dear Amy: I am married to a wonderful, kind and attractive man, but I recently started obsessing over a woman that I see at my gym.

I hate myself for having intimate thoughts about her, but I can’t seem to get her off my mind.

schiezainc likes this.
  11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

This is when I would have advised her to see what happens with the woman at the gym and bring her home to the husband. :)

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Dear Amy: I live next to a Kenny Roger's Roasters and the red light coming through my window is killing me. I can't eat. I can't sleep. All I can see is that giant red sun in the shape of a chicken. What should I do?

RubberSoul1979 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted