1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This happens when you're too good

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Jan 25, 2016.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This story is remarkably low on specifics, including the scores of the first three games. But if it follows the pattern of previous stories on this general topic, my guess is the coach recruited all the best players in the league and they are curb-stomping everybody else so they (and he) can get a massive ego boost. And that would be strange since this sounds like a youth league that includes kids who got cut from the high school team, so I'm not sure what the point is of setting out to curb-stomp everyone.

Anytime a youth league team is running to the TV station, that's a pretty good tip-off that things won't be what they appear.

But, it makes for red meat on Fox News.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I figured this thread was about my posts.

4. jr/shotglass

High school girls' score in Pennsylvania tonight: Reynolds 53, Jamestown 0.

Break up the Reynolds Raiders.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Starman's Koalas should challenge them.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Never would have thought Sweet Dee could ball.

7. jr/shotglass

Maybe not hoops, but ...

[​IMG]

8. LongTimeListener

Yep, I was dead-on about this.

RAYBA is a private club with 1,100 kids. It runs its own house leagues, travel program, and Website. Home

RAYBA put up a statement on that Website to address the "tremendous amount of misinformation" that has been in the public eye -- information that RAYBA itself put out there by crying to the TV station about being suspended.

It turns out they don't have facilities during the winter, so they went to the league a few months ago about the girls playing in the Northwest Suburban Basketball League, which RAYBA had never participated in before.

From RAYBA's statement:

3. The NWSBL informed our board that the other teams entered to participate in the league were composed of multiple teams from each of the other communities, with their most talented players dispersed equally between their community teams (through a draft process).
    4. RAYBA had a total of 14 young ladies express an interest in participating.
    5. RAYBA asked the 14 young ladies if they would split into two equal teams, comprised of seven players each. The decision from the participants was that they would prefer to play together on one team. This was communicated back to the NWSBL including the fact that the team was comprised of 11 seniors prior to the start of the season.

That's where it should have ended with NWSBL -- anybody should have been able to see that a team of almost all seniors who grew up playing AAU was going to be a horrible fit for their community rec league that includes underclassmen (underclasswomen?). I don't know why they allowed the group to enter as a team in the first place, but it was clearly a bad decision that was going to ruin the balance of the league, and they saw that immediately.

If RAYBA players just want to play, they can go into the draft and split up. If they want to play as a team, they can join AAU tournaments and get their own heads bashed in. My guess is they wouldn't like doing that.

Sorry, Dick. This thread turned out to be about me.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    jr/shotglass and britwrit like this.
  9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

the team was comprised of 11 seniors prior to the start of the season.

That's just damn fine writing, ain't it?

10. LongTimeListener

Oh don't even get me started on their brazen incorrect usage of "comprised."

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And the other one. Prior to.

12. jr/shotglass

I'm curious as to whether any of those 11 seniors turned into postgraduates during the season.

SFIND likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted