1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nashville hook-ups: Not nearly as exciting as you'd think

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Jan 19, 2016.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The carpools might be fun, though.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Without even looking...hook ups, which are carpools everywhere else, are clearly on the list. But what about hosepipes in lieu of garden hoses?

4. I had hopes this was a Poin Files thread.

Carry on.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I like this kind of stuff. Read a blog piece (forget where) about the history of why Southern Californians use "The" when talking about highways, i.e., "The 101." It's mocked on SNL but the story behind it is good.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Think of the 38-year-old man who moves to town and hears a MILF talking about the hook-ups at the school.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I've actually always wondered about that.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It's like in New York State, I-90 is never called the interstate. It's the Thruway.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

This is going to turn into a pop vs. soda debate soon.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That might be because that was the road's name before the interstate highway system was created.

From Wikipedia: When the Interstate Highway System was created in 1957, much of the Thruway system was included as portions of Interstate 87 (I-87), I-90, and I-95.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Similar reason in Southern California, many of the freeways existed and were named before the advent of the numbering system:
    The 5, the 101, the 405: Why Southern Californians Love Saying 'the' Before Freeway Numbers

It's not really limited to people in Southern Cal, though. I live in Central Cal, and everyone uses 'the.'
    The people I know from the Bay Area and Sacto all say 'the.'

I don't really know anyone from Northern Cal.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Kind of funny how SoCal motorists went from using freeway names to numbers (while keeping "the") but in Chicago it's still the Kennedy, the Stephenson, the Eisenhower, etc.

Like I said, I love stuff like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted