1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resume/portfolio question (blogging)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DeskMonkey1, Jan 21, 2016.

1. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Several years ago, while in between jobs, I kept a blog, hoping to use it to find another job. Well, it didn't play a part in getting my next job but I stumbled across it recently and the writing isn't bad.

Since I don't have a lot of clips otherwise, would it behoove me to use it as a writing sample if I applied for something else? Would you hire someone who used a personal blog as a writing sample?

Sorry, mods, I meant to post this in journalism topics. Can it be moved?

2. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I'm cringing a little, but I'm old-school and like to see published clips along with the resume and some kind of e-mailed "cover letter." I guess it depends on the subject -- does the blog directly relate to the job opening? -- and level of professionalism.

One plus: you (most likely) didn't have an editor, so whatever is there is actually all your work. Knowing how much a good editor helps, it'd be a good way to judge your flat-out reporting and writing skills.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was in the newspaper business for more than 20 years but when I applied for a corporate communicatoins job, I included two writing samples from my personal blog for variety. One was an attempt at humor and they seemed to like that best.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Agree with Ace. If you're going outside the media world, any writing sample will suffice. I've turned in Word docs of not-yet-published articles and they've done the trick.

Tweener likes this.
  5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

My issue with a blog for a sports writer position would be whether there's actual reporting being done or if it's just opinion. It's nice seeing that someone can write, but I'd want to know if they can get a story, too. A lot of personal blogs don't give you that. I could maybe see it as part of a portfolio with other work samples, but if it was all someone had, I wouldn't give a lot of weight to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted