1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Like it or not, the X-Files are back

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by I Should Coco, Jan 21, 2016.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I know there are plenty of former X-Philes on here. So let's speculate on why the show is coming back, and what we think of it once it airs Sunday night.

The critics are already teeing off: What Do Critics Have To Say About The New 'X-Files' Season?

I am curious, more than anything, about why they couldn't let it rest in peace. I suppose they had that stand-alone, "freak of the week" X-Files movie in the 2000s that showed Mulder and Scully had settled into some sort of domestic tranquility. My guess is this six-episode reboot will return to the alien conspiracy plotline.

No grumpiness here — I'll be watching. If Han Solo and Princess Leia could return as aged Star Wars characters, our favorite FBI agents can, too.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The X-Files were the reason I got a TV when I moved to Toronto (after having to watch the first 2 episodes at a friend's place) so I'm in.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think I have liked Gillian Anderson in anything she has been in since the X-Files. Maybe I'll like this.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Really? I thought she was amazing in "The Fall".

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

She was fine, but I think she always seems to have the same kind of icy demeanor in her roles.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It wasn't that good after Duchovny left. The movie in 2008 wasn't very good. This probably won't be that good.

But I'll watch.

HC likes this.
  7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm torn on abbreviated-season reboots.

24: Live Another Day was incredible. Heroes Reborn is an abomination.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

24: LAD was fantastic. The reboot that Fox has sent to pilot? That will probably be a steaming pile of shit.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If it is truly episodic, I might watch.
    I think I have hit the wall will serialized shows.
    'The X Files' in its prime was great because it combined longer story arcs with actual complete episodes.

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Honestly the heck with Sepinwall. How bad could it be? I'm really looking forward to this.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Go to IMDB and look at what Chris Carter, David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson have done since the show went off the air. I think that answers the question as well as it can be answered.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Duchovny and Anderson have been successful. Californication was a hit. He's written books. Been in several movies. Anderson has also been in a bunch of movies and has been a regular in a few TV shows, especially in recent years. Both have fine careers even if they haven't approached the success they had with X-Files.

Carter, I don't know that he's done anything else of note.

Draft saved Draft deleted