1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Mortensen has throat cancer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Hate to see this. And it's Stage 4.

ESPN's Mortensen on leave for cancer treatment

Saw him on TV a few weeks ago and he sounded awful, was slurring his words as if he'd had a stroke. I guess this is why.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Oh man, I noticed that, too, a couple of weeks ago. I knew him quite well before he moved to Atlanta. And I've heard plenty of his slurred speech.
    Wishing him the best. He made quite a life for himself after the wild times of his younger days.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I had heard someone else say that he seemed pretty bad recently but hadn't noticed. Horrible news. Very good reporter, and one of the dwindling few at the four-letter that I enjoy.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I guess what surprises me is he has seemed "off" for more than a year, just not as quick or understandable during the MNF look-ins.

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Fuck Cancer

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If you'd like to lose a little faith in people — or Patriots fans — check out the comments on Schefter's Facebook page announcing Mort's cancer. So many horrible horrible people calling it "karma" and "what you deserve."

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

No thanks. That's despicable.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  8. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

The way some people act on social media is deplorable. Show some class my goodness. Speaking of class, how about Larry Fitzgerald giving Mort a shout out and saying he's thinking of him after his game-winning TD vs. Packers.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Thanks for stopping by, Larry!

10. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

No problem, GO CARDS!

Draft saved Draft deleted