1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada's greatest living athlete passes, forearm finally healed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jan 18, 2016.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

SpeedTchr likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, I posted it in the wrestling thread, but he was one of my favorites, and was in the opening match of the first show I ever attended.

I always loved his hollering, and was always amused when he would be introduced as "Canada's Greatest Athlete" and Gorilla Monsoon would say, "Wouldn't Gretzky have something to say about that?"

From what it sounds like, he'd been having health problems for a while. I remember reading about a decade ago he's injured himself in a mishap at home and had spent a lot of time in a hospital and rehab center. The doctors had praised him for being very helpful in getting other patients to do their physical therapy and had made cheered them up with his wrestling stories.

RIP

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Indeed, one of the greats, loudest wrestler of his era, nobody could sell an arm bar like him. Fun fact: he hailed from the same city as our own beloved jobber, JR.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I remember Gorilla Monsoon's story about him being locked inside Boston Garden while working out. I think the forearm pad was eventually declared a legal weapon along with the Mounty's zillion-volt cattle prod. I do miss jobbers. R.I.P.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Iron Mike Sharpe vs S.D. Jones...

Who do ya got?

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No question for this Canuckistani, Iron Mike in a squash....

7. Baron Scicluna

Enjoy

One thing I never knew about him until recently. He actual was Hogan's tag partner in Japan a few times in the early 80s.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

SD Jones wins when Iron Mike storms out

9. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

When I first say the title of this thread, I thought Wayne Gretzky died. Then I remembered, Gretzky is now a U.S. citizen. Actually he has dual citizenship, but he's American by CHOICE.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I thought that this was going to be about Ted Cruz.

11. Baron Scicluna

As I mentioned on the wrestling thread, frequently, when Sharpe was announced as "Canada's greatest athlete", Gorilla Monsoon would say, "Wouldn't Gretzky have something to say about that?"

Draft saved Draft deleted